• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi all, this programmer has quit to go contracting ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, this programmer has quit to go contracting ...

Hello all!

Yep, took the brave step of resigning, so will be looking to go contracting.
    Decided to go Limited.

Just a couple of things - any IT "limited company" contractors out there decided to be members of FSB?

Thanks all

Baggister

I can't remember anyone saying they had. IPSE (.co. UK) are supposed to be more aligned to one man IT contractor setups.
    You did research the problems facing contracting in the next two years first though?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I can't remember anyone saying they had. IPSE (.co. UK) are supposed to be more aligned to one man IT contractor setups.
      You did research the problems facing contracting in the next two years first though?
      I spoke to a good contractor mate: he told me that tax was going to be a bit higher, but that's all - is there something I should know !!?

Comment

Originally posted by baggister View Post
        Hello all!

Yep, took the brave step of resigning, so will be looking to go contracting.
        Decided to go Limited.

Just a couple of things - any IT "limited company" contractors out there decided to be members of FSB?

Thanks all

Baggister
        Федеральная служба безопасности Российской Федерации?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You mean https://thefutureofcontracting.co.uk/
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            ah. hmm, thats not good is it?

On the other hand, it may be that companies that book contractors will need to dig deeper to offset contractor's costs. is this likely?

Comment

On the other hand, it may be that companies that book contractors will need to dig deeper to offset contractor's costs. is this likely?
              No, it's not.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I spoke to a good contractor mate: he told me that tax was going to be a bit higher, but that's all - is there something I should know !!?
                First rule of contracting. Never take advice from mates... Ever...
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From my brief calculations:-

Add up all your expenses which you think are claimable related to travel and subsistence.

They are unlikely to be.

The actual effect on your disposable income is likely to be about 50% of this amount. It could be less.

I suppose a view might be if you are just starting out what you haven't had you won't miss. And it (arguably) isn't really any different to a permie.

But if you are used to it the it is a substantial extra cost.

Comment

Working...
                  X