• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this possible? Permanent Job Skill X -> Contract Job Skill Y

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this possible? Permanent Job Skill X -> Contract Job Skill Y

Hi all,

some people are taking the plunge into the world of contracting, I am taking the plunge into the contractor's forum. Anyway, I have a beginner's question that some of you might be able to answer. I have 15 years software development experience primarily in C# however I am lately more interested in Javascript and a lot of the technologies around it. There are good contracts in my area (Bristol) on Javascript and at home I always spend a lot of time learning new languages and frameworks so question is simple. Is it possible to get out of a permanent job doing C# for example and move into a contract doing Javascript if your only experience is through personal work and projects? I know that this wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do but is it feasible? Have you achieved that through your contracting career?

Originally posted by ninjamayo View Post
    Hi all,

some people are taking the plunge into the world of contracting, I am taking the plunge into the contractor's forum. Anyway, I have a beginner's question that some of you might be able to answer. I have 15 years software development experience primarily in C# however I am lately more interested in Javascript and a lot of the technologies around it. There are good contracts in my area (Bristol) on Javascript and at home I always spend a lot of time learning new languages and frameworks so question is simple. Is it possible to get out of a permanent job doing C# for example and move into a contract doing Javascript if your only experience is through personal work and projects? I know that this wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do but is it feasible? Have you achieved that through your contracting career?
    Possible for the experienced time-served contractor, not sure for a noob......

Comment

The thing permies looking to turn contractor always forget is that contractors get hired for what they have done, not what they can do. It's more than possible you can do the new job, and after 15 years coding you ought to be able to handle the new environments, but you're up against people who have demonstrated they can do it, so you need as much luck as you do technical ability.

Perhaps spend a year in permieland using Java and related tools, then have a go?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi all,

Yes it is.

I've met contractors including newbies who have done it. In their cases they used personal contacts or found one agent who actively helped them get their first couple of contracts. In your case it would help if you had some sort of portfolio of your Javascript work for clients to look at.

If you don't you will get agents who just put you forward for C# roles.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 9 May 2015, 06:38.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Yes it is.

I've met contractors including newbies who have done it. In their cases they used personal contacts or found one agent who actively helped them get their first couple of contracts. In your case it would help if you had some sort of portfolio of your Javascript work for clients to look at.

If you don't you will get agents who just put you forward for C# roles.
          Thanks,

I am actually building slowly a portfolio of apps in Github with the aim to showcase my skills to potential clients in the future. Personally I believe that anyone can move to any area of development as long as you understand the fundamental concepts and put enough work to practice your skills. I was just curious to get other people's view on this.

Comment

Thanks,

I am actually building slowly a portfolio of apps in Github with the aim to showcase my skills to potential clients in the future. Personally I believe that anyone can move to any area of development as long as you understand the fundamental concepts and put enough work to practice your skills. I was just curious to get other people's view on this.
            If you are going to find work via agents, then you are always going to be up against proven resources with a good track record of practical expertise. And against them, you have some hobby projects.

I don't want to seem harsh, but that's how an agent is going to look at your CV - you have no real experience in the skillset that you are targeting, so they will move onto someone who has that practical experience in the real world.

If you are going to be going direct to clients then it might be a different matter - the question you need to work out is how are you going to get into a position where you can show off this portfolio to a client in the first place?

What you personally believe may or may not be correct - if you have no opportunity to prove it, then being right isn't going to help you out.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X