• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Allow myself to introduce myself...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow myself to introduce myself...

Finally got round to signing up on this forum. Moved into contracting about 14 months ago and walked straight into my first contract - I was signed up before leaving my permie job. After a few off and on renewals with the same client, the work seems to have dried up they can no longer guarantee a renewal. So I've been looking around, but the market round here (Manchester) seems a lot flatter than it was all those months ago, and starting to get a little worried.

Not many jobs on the boards and those that are there don't look genuine. Hopefully something will be along soon!

Get used to having time on the bench. And get flexible - there's always something somewhere even if it's a bit sh1t for a while - you never know it might lead onto something better.
    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Wasn't a large pharma was it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good luck! Keep looking!

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
          Get used to having time on the bench. And get flexible - there's always something somewhere even if it's a bit sh1t for a while - you never know it might lead onto something better.
          One of the things that attracted me to contracting in the first place was the ease with with contractors (of all abilities) seemed to just float from one contract to the next. I was expecting things to get tougher in the future but not quite so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
            One of the things that attracted me to contracting in the first place was the ease with with contractors (of all abilities) seemed to just float from one contract to the next. I was expecting things to get tougher in the future but not quite so soon.
            It's rarely that simple. If the market's tough just do the contracts no-one else wants to do which often involves a bit of travel or staying away in the week. It's not that bad once you get used to it. Some will allow home working on Friday so you get to go home on Thursday night, some involve driving >100 miles each way etc. The more contracts you do the more your reputation increases which makes the next one easier.

There's always something somewhere
            Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
            http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Your market should be just Manchester. It should be the entire NW area.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Your market should be just Manchester. It should be the entire NW area.
                I think you mean shouldn't. I'd argue even down to the Midlands and consider staying over if you want end to end gig's.

Comment

I don't mind travelling, just haven't known people from Manchester needing to do it before. People from around travelling to manchester yes, but not out. Sign of the times I guess.

Comment

I don't mind travelling, just haven't known people from Manchester needing to do it before. People from around travelling to manchester yes, but not out. Sign of the times I guess.
                    You know one now

Comment

Working...
                    X