• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm/Contractor which job is easier to get?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm/Contractor which job is easier to get?

Sorry if this is a newbish question -
    I have been looking on jobserve, I fancy contract work over perm work, mostly due to higher pay. Are contract jobs, much more difficult to get than perms?

Also, for contract work, what is the usual process? Is it:

Submit cv from jobserve,
    Phone Interview with pimp,
    Phone interview with client
    (face2face interview)
    Start

?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Welcome!

You'll find a lot of answers to your questions within the CUK website.

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Umbrella or Ltd? Look here: Setting up your company - Ltd or Umbrella?

Basic expenses questions answered here: Contractor Expenses - How to claim Travel and other expenses via Limited Company or Umbrella

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

And here are the rules when using company credit cards: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/exb/a-z/c/cards.htm

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

And finally - accountant recommendations - Ta-da!

Happy reading!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Before "someone" jumps in - it's not a contract "job". It's a project, or a role, or a gig - but it's not a job. Jobs are for permies.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jim1980 View Post
        Phone Interview with pimp
        This implies that the agent knows what they are talking about - generally they won't be in a position to interview you. They may check you have the right skills (not that they really know that), chat about where you have worked (and milk you for information / references), and barter you down to the lowest acceptable rate they can get away with paying.

But it's not really an interview.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

might be higher pay, but you won't get paid if you are sick, on holiday, have to go to a funeral, etc.
          Then you have to pay your business taxes, your accountant, liability & indemnity insurances, etc. before you even think of about wages.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Before "someone" jumps in - it's not a contract "job". It's a project, or a role, or a gig - but it's not a job. Jobs are for permies.
            Agree - and to OP, most of us don't move to contracting just for the higher pay...

Comment

I got paid around £50k as a permie and now I get paid £11k as a contractor
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I don't get the obsession that forum has with banging on this drum. "Job" is used in so many professions to mean so many different things that trying to lambaste people for using it here is just daft.

Speak to your plumber and he may tell you he's got a big job on for the council.
                A Response Police Officer will find himself attending numerous blue light jobs during the day, same as paramedic.

I was going to say that I see job as being perfectly synonymous for a project, but the OED have beaten me to it:

http://i.imgur.com/fCa1bec.png

job - definition of job in English from the Oxford dictionary

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I don't get the obsession that forum has with banging on this drum. "Job" is used in so many professions to mean so many different things that trying to lambaste people for using it here is just daft.

Speak to your plumber and he may tell you he's got a big job on for the council.
                  A Response Police Officer will find himself attending numerous blue light jobs during the day, same as paramedic.

I was going to say that I see job as being perfectly synonymous for a project, but the OED have beaten me to it:

http://i.imgur.com/fCa1bec.png

job - definition of job in English from the Oxford dictionary
                  Job = IR35 in contracting terms. That is why.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Job = IR35 in contracting terms. That is why.
                    Absolute bollocks.

Comment

Working...
                    X