• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm/Contractor which job is easier to get?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Absolute bollocks.
    Agree with this. The reason I make the point is because I am thinking about the OP and not the seasoned lot. We know the difference so it's not you lot I'm aiming the comment at. There are many new posters that don't understand the subtle differences and will plod on thinking they have a job with a manager as they did in perm land. A re-think of their situation is needed and getting little things like this right early on will avoid many issues moving forward. Same when we point out to posters that the money in the business account is not their money.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Agree with this. The reason I make the point is because I am thinking about the OP and not the seasoned lot. We know the difference so it's not you lot I'm aiming the comment at. There are many new posters that don't understand the subtle differences and will plod on thinking they have a job with a manager as they did in perm land. A re-think of their situation is needed and getting little things like this right early on will avoid many issues moving forward. Same when we point out to posters that the money in the business account is not their money.
      I do appreciate where you're coming form, and you're right - there are a scary number of contractors who barely know they're contracting. At the same time, though, it does bug me, because I'm sure many of do refer to our current project as a job and I really don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that.

Maybe we just need to highlight that it's not a job in the traditional permie sense!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I do appreciate where you're coming form, and you're right - there are a scary number of contractors who barely know they're contracting. At the same time, though, it does bug me, because I'm sure many of do refer to our current project as a job and I really don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that.

Maybe we just need to highlight that it's not a job in the traditional permie sense!
        To be fair I never use the term if I can help it. Causes confusion when talking to anyone else outside the contracting circle as well. I got a new job. Ohhh given up contracting? Oh FFS..
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jim1980 View Post
          Are contract jobs, much more difficult to get than perms?
          To get back to the OP's question for a moment, in my experience (what little there is of it), contract roles have been easier to get than permanent jobs. A couple of years ago I was facing redundancy, applied for lots of permie jobs, got a few interviews, second interviews in two or three cases, and got rejected for all of them. A couple of weeks before the company actually closed down I got a call from an agency asking if I'd consider a contract role. At that point I'd have considered anything so I said yes. Had the interview, got the gig, 3-month contract ended up getting extended for a year. When that one finished I put my CV out again and managed to land another role straight away. That role (my current one) has been extended a few times as well.

So as far as I'm concerned contracts are easier to land than permie jobs. I think partly because the client might consider it more of an "easy come easy go" thing and if it doesn't work out they can get rid of you very easily, although I may be completely wrong there.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you applying for a contract and taking it from there. I used an umbrella company for my first contract as I wasn't sure how long it would last, and set up my own Ltd when my second contract started.

Hope this helps
          • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
          • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Also, for contract work, what is the usual process? Is it:
            There is no usual process.

Some companies like to get their monies worth so will interview everyone under the sun who is available. Then take months to get back to their chosen candidate and find they are not available.

Some companies will hold the interviews like a permanent job.

Some companies will just interview you on the phone or over skype.

Some companies will expect you to turn up to a face-to-face and interview you.

Some companies will interview you within an hour of submitting your CV, while others will take months to get round to interviewing you so in the mean time you have taken and completed another contract.

Some companies interviews will just be a chat while others will consist of a panel of interviewers asking obscure technical questions to make themselves feel good.

Some contracts you will find through mates or just being in the right place at the right time. Others agents will phone you up for and rarely you will apply for something that is actually live.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Are contract jobs, much more difficult to get than perms?
              I find that *near to your home* contracts are harder to get than permanent jobs.

Comment

Working...
              X