• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take the plunge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the plunge?

So after working in consulting for around 7 years with as a perm with a salary that averages at around 80k including bonus, I’ve decided to take the plunge into contracting to chase the £ however have some reservations.
    Career wise I think I’ve hit a plateau, I’ve got a unreasonable sales target which is going to hurt me getting promoted in the near future restricting any pay rises. I then work with a number of contractors who laugh at us ‘permies’ as we have to have permanent duties for our company after work, which can take up a lot of our time.
    On a personal level, the other half is due and you I’m sure many of you will attest to the fact that money is even more important when this is the case. I’ve just bought a new house with a bigger mortgage then the last and the Mrs will be going on maternity for a year and then down to a four day week when she is back and will be sending the little one to nursery – more expense. I could afford the aforementioned on my current salary but it wont leave me with a great deal left come the end of the month and with little or no savings
    Now my question is how many of you have done a perm to contract whilst in a similar situation. When I speak to colleagues a number of them do it with little or no responsibilities whilst I am thinking of doing it with a number responsibilities.
    Is it worth the hassle? Is it worth doing it for a couple of years to build a nest egg and move back to perm for security.
    How is the contract market currently? Any agencies I should be targeting?
    I’m presuming I would have to quit my current role first then start applying for roles?
    Any other advice is much appreciated.

That's not a bad rate to be quitting...

Sales targets? What do you do? Move companies then. Start afresh with new targets, new environment and people etc. A change is as good as a break as they say.

Ignore contractors that laugh at permies. They do what they want to and permies do what they want to. There are contractors that go perm eventually and there are permies that just don't want to go contracting. Don't jump just because of some contractors opinions.

No way can you go contracting with a big mortgage and young one on the way. Contracting is hit and miss and you can expect to work around 10 months of the year. Being new you might struggle to get your first and second contracts. They may also be away from home so you have to stay over. None of that is going to work in your situation. You have to be flexible and be comfortable out of work. Can't see that being the case with you at the moment.

Didn't bother answer the rest of your questions. I don't think you are ready for contracting with the baby and new house. What happens if you can't find anything for three months? What if the only decent gigs are 100's of miles away? I just can't see it working....

Edit.. OK here are the answers to the rest...

Is it worth the hassle?
    In your position I would say absolutely not.

Is it worth doing it for a couple of years to build a nest egg and move back to perm for security.
    Security??!? In perm land? You are joking yes? I have more security in contracting that a perm does in his job. Just because we do lots of small contracts doesn't mean we don't have security in our careers.

How is the contract market currently?
    Quieter than it has been in recent years but still manageable.

Any agencies I should be targeting?
    No, you go with whoever has the role you are looking for, not stick to one agent.

I’m presuming I would have to quit my current role first then start applying for roles?
    Yes unless you are very very lucky

Any other advice is much appreciated.
    Think very long and very hard... I don't think you are in the right place to be starting but it's up to you.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 February 2015, 11:58.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Going contracting for the money is never a good idea if you're not in the bulk skills arena, which you aren't. A day rate of £600 looks attractive (and probably out of your reach as a first timer), but is roughly equivalent in terms of take home to a permie package of around what you're on now, with no security, a lot more risk and a lot less convenience.

AS NLUK said, change your permie career, you're not in a position to go freelance.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

What NLUK said

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          What NLUK said
          I agree and don't start sentences with 'So'. FFS
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

7 years on the thick end of 80k and you've still got a mortgage ?

You have a stable job on an excellent salary with a baby coming. And you choose now as the moment to start contracting? Seriously. Reason = a contractor laffed at you and the sales target is too big.

Doesn't make any sense. Come on fella. Who are you really

Comment

what does the Mrs tell you to do?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                7 years on the thick end of 80k and you've still got a mortgage ?

You have a stable job on an excellent salary with a baby coming. And you choose now as the moment to start contracting? Seriously. Reason = a contractor laffed at you and the sales target is too big.

Doesn't make any sense. Come on fella. Who are you really
                He probably lives in the SE.

Apart from NLUK's and malvolio's advice, monks123 work out how you spend money on every day things from weekly shopping, coffees, lunches, unused gym membership etc and cut costs. Talk with your wife about it so you do it together. A lot of people waste money on things they don't really consider add up and actually need. I would actually refer you to this site
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Going contracting for the money is never a good idea if you're not in the bulk skills arena, which you aren't. A day rate of £600 looks attractive (and probably out of your reach as a first timer), but is roughly equivalent in terms of take home to a permie package of around what you're on now, with no security, a lot more risk and a lot less convenience.
                  A day rate of £600 with continuous employment and a few weeks holiday a year is equivalent to £151K salary. That's nothing to be sniffed at.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    A day rate of £600 with continuous employment and a few weeks holiday a year is equivalent to £151K salary. That's nothing to be sniffed at.
                    But there are so many assumptions there it's hardly a figure ton work from.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X