• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The financial benefits on contracting don't seem worth it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The financial benefits on contracting don't seem worth it

Let's say you are a jack of all trades .NET developer with nothing special about your skillset. Five years experiences and you are earning £35,000 with a take home pay of about £27,000. That is the average developer salary in the UK.

Now consider that in your area the market rate for such a contractor is about £300/day, maybe £350. Well, and working on the assumption that you will be working 7 months per year (which is a rule of thumb I have read), your take home pay would be about £35,000 per year. I know there are no certainties with this as taxation and contracting, along with rates and work, are uncertain, but let's try and have a discussion here.

That would have you £8,000 per year better off. That's not to be sniffed at, but it's not exactly a huge amount if you are in contracting primarily for the money.

Am I completely off the mark here or is this what contracting has to offer? I have only begun looking into it with real intent recently, but I am not sure it's worth the hassle for that kind of pay rise.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 8 October 2021, 11:23.

If you're just in it for the money then it isn't worth the hassle.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Think about what you could be doing with that other 5 months of the year not tied to a desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        Think about what you could be doing with that other 5 months of the year not tied to a desk.
        Exactly contracting is not just about the money though it is a benefit if you're at the top of your craft, for me it was about flexibility, new challenges and a chance to show the doubters that I have big brass cojones.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

I had one year with 8 months on the bench. The first three were by choice for the break and the rest I worked on Plan B until the market improved so I did have some money flowing through the business. I really enjoyed working on something other than IT systems and I continue to do it in my spare time. I will eventually retire from IT and do Plan B part-time I think.

I wouldn't have had the chance to do it as a permie so there is a lot more to contracting than the money.

Other than that I've only had 2 years with 3-month breaks in 18 years of contracting. The rest is normal 2-4 week holidays when i can fit them in.

Comment

I call troll/sockie.

So the OP had 5 months of a year when perm? Not even comparing the same thing.

Work 7 month and get the extra 8k, then work 4 of the other 5 for the extra 25k!!!!

My perm to contract switch was an increase of 2.5 times perm income.

At least try and compare apples with apples.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

The first couple of years that I contracted (and I'm only into my third), my take home was probably only about £5k more than my previous permie salary. However, I only worked 6 months of each year. My first break coincided with my wife going back to work after mat leave and I had 3-4 months at home with the baby.

THAT was priceless and something I could never have done in my permie role.

Comment

Originally posted by denBen View Post
                Let's say you are a jack of all trades .NET developer with nothing special about your skillset. Five years experiences and you are earning £35,000 with a take home pay of about £27,000. That is the average developer salary in the UK.

Now consider that in your area the market rate for such a contractor is about £300/day, maybe £350. Well,and working on the assumption that you will be working 7 months per year (which is a rule of thumb I have read), your take home pay would be about £35,000 per year. I know there are no certainties with this as taxation and contracting, along with rates and work, are uncertain, but let's try and have a discussion here.

That would have you £8,000 per year better off. That's not to be sniffed at, but it's not exactly a huge amount if you are in contracting primarily for the money.

Am I completely off the mark here or is this what contracting has to offer? I have only begun looking into it with real intent recently, but I am not sure it's worth the hassle for that kind of pay rise.
                Average rule of thumb is hourly contracting rate *1200 = perm salary equiv. Some guys on here use *1000, although I think *1200 is more realistic.

Either way contract rate + lifestyle + lots of other factors far outweighs permie role any day of the week (mon - fri)
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 8 October 2021, 11:23.

Comment

For many, panicking that they can't find any more work.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                    Average rule of thumb is hourly contracting rate *1200 = perm salary equiv. Some guys on here use *1000, although I think *1200 is more realistic.

Either way contract rate + lifestyle + lots of other factors far outweighs permie role any day of the week (mon - fri)
                    That's one way to look at it (or even two).

However, round here, the multiples just don't add up. My first (and lowest paid contract) was significantly higher than I could get locally in a perm role, whether using 1000 or 1200 as a multiple.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X