• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello from me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from me

Hi all,

First post! of many hopefully.

Been in permanent roles since graduating from uni in 06, and currently a senior C#.net dev, only ever worked in web agencies but really thinking of taking the plunge into contracting?

Anyone know if the contract job market drys up around Christmas? Unsure if to wait until spring but don't really want to. I'd be looking around the North West of England. Quick search on CWJobs shows 13 jobs for C# witin 30 miles of my house right now.

Originally posted by Frames View Post
    Hi all,

First post! of many hopefully.

Been in permanent roles since graduating from uni in 06, and currently a senior C#.net dev, only ever worked in web agencies but really thinking of taking the plunge into contracting?

Anyone know if the contract job market drys up around Christmas? Unsure if to wait until spring but don't really want to. I'd be looking around the North West of England. Quick search on CWJobs shows 13 jobs for C# witin 30 miles of my house right now.
    Hi Frames

Welcome to the forum

Make sure you read plenty of the guides and have some money saved up before taking the plunge but best of luck with it if you go for it.

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Comment

Hello

The market is usually better from my experience in the NY. At the same time there are more contractors looking for the same reason ! so I wouldnt hang around and try and get something lined up asap especially if new to contracting. Also some clients like to sort contracts in Dec in readiness for jan start.

I can see approx 40 C# contracts on technojobs within 40 miles of Manchester so worth checking out.
      Last edited by saptastic; 1 October 2014, 10:40. Reason: spelling :-(

Comment

Hey,

Still researching most nights and I'm at the stage of thinking ltd or umberlla.

If I go the ltd route, and I get three - four months contracts in a year and two fall in IR35, how does this work? Do I have to pay the full tax on those two contracts, but the other I can gain the full tax benefit?

Comment

Hey,

If I go the ltd route, and I get three - four months contracts in a year and two fall in IR35, how does this work? Do I have to pay the full tax on those two contracts, but the other I can gain the full tax benefit?
          Market is dead, just worry about the first one first....

Comment

Hey,

You pay the appropriate tax on every contract. So for those inside IR35, you would pay everything out as salary once you have deducted the appropriate expenses - a pension can reduce your tax liability here.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X