• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello all. Newbie here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. Newbie here

Hi all,

I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks and have found the posts here are incredibly valuable.

I am looking to turn from permie to contracting and am currently in two minds whether to go with an umbrella or Ltd. When the first contract arrives.

I will be looking for around £400 - £450 a day and will limit the travelling required. My gut instinct tells me I should go with an umbrella to start with, then Ltd. later. However, I understand that Ltd. will be more tax efficient but require more admin work with the help of an accountant.

Also, does anyone employ (or has a need to employ) an accountant when going with an umbrella company? For expenses, for example?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by mokster View Post
    Hi all,

I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks and have found the posts here are incredibly valuable.

I am looking to turn from permie to contracting and am currently in two minds whether to go with an umbrella or Ltd. When the first contract arrives.

I will be looking for around £400 - £450 a day and will limit the travelling required. My gut instinct tells me I should go with an umbrella to start with, then Ltd. later. However, I understand that Ltd. will be more tax efficient but require more admin work with the help of an accountant.

Also, does anyone employ (or has a need to employ) an accountant when going with an umbrella company? For expenses, for example?

Thanks.
    Trust your instinct. And no you shouldn't need an accountant to help with umbrella expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
      Trust your instinct. And no you shouldn't need an accountant to help with umbrella expenses.
      Agreed. You are employed by an Umbrella so they should help you with everything you need.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you both!

Comment

Originally posted by mokster View Post
          Hi all,

Thanks.
          What is your predicted rate based upon ? Make sure you are being realistic whatever it is and do loads and loads of research.

Comment

Thanks Kaiser.

I've based the prediction on speaking to a couple of agents and other contractors, so hopefully I can get my first contract around the rate.

I am currently a technical project manager (permie) with experience in delivering custom applications and have technical background in Java, SOA technical architecture inclduing security and performance testing.

I guess I'll need to be flexible on my first contract. (?)

Comment

Working...
            X