• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi !! Contract opportunity in Cork

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi !! Contract opportunity in Cork

Afternoon all,

Looking at making the move from perm (15 years in the job) to contract in the near future.

Anyone else here have experience with a Cork job? I'd be 'commuting' from Sussex, would start off based in Cork 100% for 3 months then progressing to alternate weeks if all goes well.

Big questions are regarding flights and accommodation really and wondered what others have done in the past.

Cheers,
    M

Don't do it unless rate is around €600/day, and you can understand the Cork accent. I can't even tell when they're saying 'Cork'.

Flight a bit hit and miss, ISTR, better to fly to Dublin and drive.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Don't do it unless rate is around €600/day, and you can understand the Cork accent. I can't even tell when they're saying 'Cork'.

Flight a bit hit and miss, ISTR, better to fly to Dublin and drive.
      Strangely enough that's exactly the likely rate. I can deal with the accent :-)

Interesting about the Dublin thing, I did look at flights and London>Cork flights didn't look too tempting. Drive? Rental car for the week? Seems excessive for 2 airport runs?

Are flights/cars/hotels for this sort of thing tax deductible too?

Cheers!
      M

Comment

Might be throwing a red herring in here but looking at some of the threads in the past isn't contracting in Ireland a bit complicated tax wise? One to research before making your decision possibly..

Be very careful when getting excited about tax deductible expenses. Most of it comes out of your pocket still!! It's just at a discount. It doesn't mean it's free...

Check this thead for a giggle.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...elf-money.html
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Might be throwing a red herring in here but looking at some of the threads in the past isn't contracting in Ireland a bit complicated tax wise? One to research before making your decision possibly..

Be very careful when getting excited about tax deductible expenses. Most of it comes out of your pocket still!! It's just at a discount. It doesn't mean it's free...

Check this thead for a giggle.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...elf-money.html
          Thanks :-) Already taking tax advice and I know it's just a discount but every little helps :-)

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I can't even tell when they're saying 'Cork'.
            Caark! Caark! Are ya feckin tick ya eejit?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              Caark! Caark! Are ya feckin tick ya eejit?
              Michael Collins country lol!

Comment

Originally posted by monty77uk View Post
                Thanks :-) Already taking tax advice and I know it's just a discount but every little helps :-)

Cheers!
                Have a look at some of the comments I made in the following post:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1623101

Sounds like a good rate you're getting for Ireland!

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                  Have a look at some of the comments I made in the following post:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1623101

Sounds like a good rate you're getting for Ireland!
                  I thought that, let alone Cork....

Comment

Working...
                  X