• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need information on Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need information on Contracting

Hi all,

I an new to the contracting world and need some information from you experts. I am currently in UK working for a company for an intra company transfer visa and my visa is ending soon, but I will be coming back on dependent student visa of my wife who will do her masters in London. As per my understanding I will not be able to form a Ltd company and will have to do contracting under an umbrella company. My questions are -
    1) Is there any difference between the "Job Agency" and "Umbrella Company" ?
    2) How much does the "Umbrella Companies" charge ? is it a fixed fee or a percentage ?
    3) Does the "Umbrella Company" assist in getting jobs or they are only useful for billing the client for you ?
    4) If we see any job opening matching my profile, Do we have to contact them directly or is it via the umbrella company ?
    5) Though I will be on student dependent visa and will be eligible to work, but is there any criteria by Job agencies or Clients or Umbrella companies to give contract to specific type of Visas ?

Thanks a lot

Pankaj

I think you might want to ask these questions on a visa or immigration forum where people have had more experience.

Items 1 to 3 should be easy for you to work out by actually going to an Umbrella companies website and reading although in your situation it can get confusing as people are often looking for an umbrella company that will sponsor you which is a whole different can of worms.

Go look at an agents website and an Umbrella one and see if you can spot the difference.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pankaj View Post
      1) Is there any difference between the "Job Agency" and "Umbrella Company" ?
      Yes. They perform very different roles.

2) How much does the "Umbrella Companies" charge ? is it a fixed fee or a percentage ?
      It varies - ask the umbrella company how they operate and what they charge.

3) Does the "Umbrella Company" assist in getting jobs or they are only useful for billing the client for you ?
      They are your employer. You need to find the work and they will invoice the agency / client for you and pay your taxes. They pass on your income to you after tax.

4) If we see any job opening matching my profile, Do we have to contact them directly or is it via the umbrella company ?
      See above.

5) Though I will be on student dependent visa and will be eligible to work, but is there any criteria by Job agencies or Clients or Umbrella companies to give contract to specific type of Visas ?
      Nor that I'm aware of, but it's not something that I would profess to have any knowledge of.

Given that some of these questions show a fundamental lack of knowledge of how the industry works, might I suggest a lot of reading before you jump into something that you don't understand?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You can start a Ltd on dependent visa.

Comment

A visa sponsorship has to be by the company that you will actually be performing the services for so IMHO an umbrella company will not be in a position to sponsor you as, although they are your employer, they are an intermediary.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            A visa sponsorship has to be by the company that you will actually be performing the services for so IMHO an umbrella company will not be in a position to sponsor you as, although they are your employer, they are an intermediary.
            He already has a student dependant visa there are no restriction re: work on that (cue: Coolcat rant) if the student visa itself is granted for over 12 months....

Can employed, self-employed, Director, partner.....

Comment

Welcome to the forum sir and good luck!
              one day at a time

Comment

Working...
              X