• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello - started Ltd company recently

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello - started Ltd company recently

Hello,
    Thanks for this great forum and helping others.

I recently (almost 3 months) started a Limited Company and am sole director. I work from home and go to client's place once a week. Most of the times I went their by my wife's car (she drives as I don't have the driving license yet). She drops me at office and goes for shopping nearby. I finish my works like meeting and other onsite works in couple of hours and we return home.

Appreciate if someone clarifies my doubts:

1. Can I still claim 45p/mile for my business travel to client location even though my wife drives? [ Its her own car ]
    2. Maybe 1 or 2 times I might have used public transport but would like to keep it as "by car" to just make it same every time. Is it a problem? Should I provide any other proofs other than travel log?
    3. Can I claim lunch expenses everyday or only those days I visited my client? What is the maximum limit for lunch expense claim (of course, receipts available)?

Thanks in advance,
    Bateman

Originally posted by Bateman View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks for this great forum and helping others.

I recently (almost 3 months) started a Limited Company and am sole director. I work from home and go to client's place once a week. Most of the times I went their by my wife's car (she drives as I don't have the driving license yet). She drops me at office and goes for shopping nearby. I finish my works like meeting and other onsite works in couple of hours and we return home.

Appreciate if someone clarifies my doubts:

1. Can I still claim 45p/mile for my business travel to client location even though my wife drives? [ Its her own car ]
    2. Maybe 1 or 2 times I might have used public transport but would like to keep it as "by car" to just make it same every time. Is it a problem? Should I provide any other proofs other than travel log?
    3. Can I claim lunch expenses everyday or only those days I visited my client? What is the maximum limit for lunch expense claim (of course, receipts available)?

Thanks in advance,
    Bateman
    1) not sure - but maybe you can pay your wife a salary as your chauffeur?

2) no that would be fraud.

3) personally unless away in a hotel I don't claim food. Seems a bit petty IMHO.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Re: food

You can claim if on a client site, but I think there is a duration prerequisite - not sure if you can claim if you're only there for a couple of hours.

You definitely can't claim at home!

Comment

You can claim subsistence when working away from your normal place of work
        How much you can claim depends on how long you are away for (I assume not overnight), but it's going to be worth no more than 2 quid to you. And you can only claim for expenses actually incurred - no buying a cheap sandwich and claiming for a two-course lunch. And you have to produce receipts if asked by HMRC Are you sure it's worth it? Honestly, it's cheaper to take a sandwich with you.

Re the travelling expenses - tricky. Travel by public transport is claimable but it'd be a bit difficult to argue the car trip was only for work purposes if your wife is going shopping at the same time. You strike me as the sort of guy who likes a gamble though, so you could ring HMRC and ask them.

+50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
        X