• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forced to use a particular umbrella - is this allowed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced to use a particular umbrella - is this allowed?

Hi - I often read these sites, but never felt enraged enough to contribute.... ...until now!

I am a seasoned contractor and have always been happy with the service I have from my umbrella company. I've been with then for 5+ years and don't have many bad things to say about them. I get paid on time and whilst I might disagree when they reject some of my expense claims, at least they have the decency to pick up the phone let me know.

I've recently finished my last assignment and have found work through a different agency. The agency is insisting that I must use one of the umbrella companies on their approved list, without exception. I've challenged them myself without success. The umbrella company has contacted them too - again without success.

Despite my best efforts, I feel resigned to moving to another umbrella company through the insistence of the agency. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas why this agency is so attached to using umbrellas on their approved list? Any other advice anyone can offer?

Originally posted by SameOldThing View Post
    Any other advice anyone can offer?
    Run your own limited company, switch umbrella, or walk away and find something else.

In the same way that it is up to the contractor who they work with, the agency are perfectly within their rights to limit the number of umbrella companies that they wish to deal with.

I'm not sure why people stick with umbrellas for the long-term, to be honest - even inside IR35, running your own company over five years would have been more profitable; outside IR35 significantly so.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Run your own limited company, switch umbrella, or walk away and find something else.

In the same way that it is up to the contractor who they work with, the agency are perfectly within their rights to limit the number of umbrella companies that they wish to deal with.

I'm not sure why people stick with umbrellas for the long-term, to be honest - even inside IR35, running your own company over five years would have been more profitable; outside IR35 significantly so.
      +1 5 years with an umbrella... Any reason why you didn't go Ltd?

Comment

Upper contract does not allow it, apparantly

A lot of the assignments are found through agencies. The agencies' contracts with the 'end-client' apparently does not allow me to set up limited company. It might be because of the industry I work in. I work in the rail sector, so I guess the ultimate end client is the tax payer.

I would love to set up a limited company. It makes sense for me commercially, just I struggle to get my agency to agree.

Anyway - situation resolved. I'm doing exactly the same work, for exactly the same client, for exactly the same rate, but through a different agency. I can continue using the same umbrella. Yay!

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Working...
        X