• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email address to report dodgy umbrella schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
    a tad unfair.....some, many, where recommended this, by their accountant, as a pain free alternative to IR35. I'm a fantastic techie and, was, naive as to the vagaries of tax etc. I trusted my accountant, he trusted the law.

I guess the lesson here is that if you choose to be a contractor you need to be good at your profession, have your eyes wide open and also accept that the executive will alter the rules. It's not personal. We're an easy target.

F*** - it's been a painful lesson.
    Don't forget he asked for a really condescending post so I gave him one.

The thing is that I've always been far more comfortable with IR35 than trusting a "tax expert" and their dodgy scheme. It might be that I'm incredibly cynical or it may be that I dealt with Tax Accountants during my year off before uni but I really don't trust people playing intellectual games with my money.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Don't forget he asked for a really condescending post so I gave him one.
      Fair point

Originally posted by eek View Post
      It might be that I'm incredibly cynical
      Cynical maybe, but at least you aren't getting kicked across the park by HMRC.

Seriously though - people are getting out of the schemes. Everyone knows someone being impacted by this. If this all stops at DOTAS, and kills all the schemes off as a side product - great. Worse case there will be another round of contractors hit by the next wave - and I'd really not wish this on them.

Let HMRC do some proactive work.

Comment

We've been pointing and laughing for years.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1549849
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Schadenfreude

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          We've been pointing and laughing for years.
          it's really, really, really not that funny.........

Comment

it's really, really, really not that funny.........
            No, of course it isn't. However, when faced with 9 years of people saying they are a very bad idea...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

yeah.....

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              No, of course it isn't. However, when faced with 9 years of people saying they are a very bad idea...
              still not funny......

On a cheerier note - one scheme offered me a £1,500 incentive to join last week. They're getting desperate, they're dying.

Whatever you may think about the Finance Bill 2014 - it has destroyed contractor avoidance schemes. They're totally starved of oxygen.

I think I might laugh at anyone joining one now though......

Comment

still not funny......

On a cheerier note - one scheme offered me a £1,500 incentive to join last week. They're getting desperate, they're dying.

Whatever you may think about the Finance Bill 2014 - it has destroyed contractor avoidance schemes. They're totally starved of oxygen.

I think I might laugh at anyone joining one now though......
                £1500 That really is desperation!!
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

To be fair no matter when you started using a scheme, you must have considered that there was/is an element of risk that HMRC would not only shut it down, but do their damnedest to find fault with the approach.

You would have to be astoundingly naive to have believed that you were untouchable when paying so little tax on a large income.

While I object deeply to the retrospective alterations of badly worded tax law, I have limited sympathy for people that used multiple schemes and absolutely none for anyone stupid enough to sign up for one in the last 7 or so years.

Comment

Working...
                  X