• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email address to report dodgy umbrella schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why would anyone want to help HMRC?
    In my case, to save the idiots who join these schemes from themselves...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Helping HMRC? Why.

Originally posted by eek View Post
      ....although it doesn't help them. There are no, effective, penalties for the promoters of these schemes; HMRC just appear to sit back and do very little. When HMRC do sit up - it would appear to be the idiots who lose out.

They don't even publish a list of dodgy schemes which, with a bit of SEO, could at least provide a warning.

Anyway, I'm seeing my MP on Friday to talk about targeting promoters.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
        ....although it doesn't help them. There are no, effective, penalties for the promoters of these schemes; HMRC just appear to sit back and do very little. When HMRC do sit up - it would appear to be the idiots who lose out.

They don't even publish a list of dodgy schemes which, with a bit of SEO, could at least provide a warning.

Anyway, I'm seeing my MP on Friday to talk about targeting promoters.
        Indeed, whats the point of reporting them so that HMRC can then do nothing about it, if they outlawed it this PR exercise would be unnecessary.

I have an aversion to helping HMRC with anything beyond what I am legally required to do as they are a joke, I once spent over an hour on hold to the local tax office to query a tax demand they wrongly sent me (not a freephone number I might add), maybe they should get their own house in order first...

Comment

It's been a while since you posted a really condescending post.
          I was starting to be worried...
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            You're a late comer to the party - we've been at this since 2005...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
              So what brought your attention to the pain that these schemes cause people. Gross stupidity or outright greed
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So what brought your attention to the pain that these schemes cause people. Gross stupidity or outright greed
                A brown envelope on the doormat.

Comment

ouch

a tad unfair.....some, many, where recommended this, by their accountant, as a pain free alternative to IR35. I'm a fantastic techie and, was, naive as to the vagaries of tax etc. I trusted my accountant, he trusted the law.

I guess the lesson here is that if you choose to be a contractor you need to be good at your profession, have your eyes wide open and also accept that the executive will alter the rules. It's not personal. We're an easy target.

F*** - it's been a painful lesson.

Comment

I thought this was a professional forum so comments would have been moderated. But since the gloves are off....

HMRC have proved themselves incompetent liars who have way way too many powers. Anyone who helps them might as well be helping the Nazis. You are effectively helping to send people to their death - certainly in my case reporting the scheme would have done no good atall and probably made things worse.

If you have an energy trying to make things better then spend it elsewhere. Plenty of charities could do with your help.

As for me, I am now totally f**ked and its just a case of waiting for the end game to play out.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                      F*** - it's going to be a painful lesson.
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X