• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darwin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darwin

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any threads on Darwin as an umbrella firm? Or has anyone heard anything about them?

Originally posted by Caprichoso View Post
    Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any threads on Darwin as an umbrella firm? Or has anyone heard anything about them?
    Oh yes....
    People who have HMRC chasing them because they used Darwin

And this thread talking about Darwin going into liquidation

Unless they Rise Like a Phoenix, to quote Conchita...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And I've moved this post because they don't deserve to be in the original thread.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        They arose again last Friday and spammed various people including me (to my mobile not even an email but they had that as well)...

So I will add their current details to screw up their google search results:

Today's phoenix company is currently Darwin Marketing Limited. 2a Lord Street, Douglas, Isle of Man IM99 1HP
        Company number: 008800V. VAT registration number: GB 003 7686 81.

The trading company is IQ something or other but the website is still Darwinpay (Darwinpay.co.uk) registered to an Eddy Mercx (but not for much longer by the time my conversation with NIC.uk has finished)...

And refer anyone visiting here to threads such as http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...elievable.html and if that wasn't enough to put you off pick anything in HMRC Scheme Enquiries or http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...er-trusts.html

Finally, if the description of their current scheme is as described in http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...elievable.html joining them will not just result in a very large HMRC bill (with automatic fines) in a year or two but could permanently screw up your pension...
        Last edited by eek; 9 June 2014, 18:06.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Everything that Eek says plus - if you work with an agency they won't work with Darwin because of this HM Revenue & Customs: Offshore Employment Intermediaries legislation which will allow any PAYE/NIC's debts to be transferred to the agency. Darwin have gone down the tubes and resurrected several times so if you do decide to go with them just be aware that they certainly won't be there to fight your corner when HMRC come a'knocking which they most assuredly will
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            Everything that Eek says plus - if you work with an agency they won't work with Darwin because of this HM Revenue & Customs: Offshore Employment Intermediaries legislation which will allow any PAYE/NIC's debts to be transferred to the agency. Darwin have gone down the tubes and resurrected several times so if you do decide to go with them just be aware that they will time their next bankruptcy for when HMRC come a'knocking to confirm that they were merely after your money
            FTFY

As an aside I think Darwin are now using England companies (probably IQ something or other) to bypass that the overseas company bit (probably fakely)..

Remember these people have spent years perfecting their techniques of scamming money off unwary contractors.... While we can see some of the tricks they are using there are doubtlessly more we can't see.
            Last edited by eek; 10 June 2014, 14:46.

Comment

As you say Eek there will always be someone trying to find a way round the rules and they will still make money as long as contractors are prepared to take the risk
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Many thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  As you say Eek there will always be someone trying to find a way round the rules and they will still make money as long as contractors are prepared to take the risk
                  I think that's the thing - they don't know the risks - there are plenty of contractors out there that don't know about APN, HMRC crackdowns etc. - I know a fair number myself, so these schemes are still doing business as they are 'risk free' (or so they often say).

No contractor in their right mind (IMHO) would be joining these schemes if they knew the consequences, but many still don't.

Comment

Originally posted by dezze View Post
                    I think that's the thing - they don't know the risks - there are plenty of contractors out there that don't know about APN, HMRC crackdowns etc. - I know a fair number myself, so these schemes are still doing business as they are 'risk free' (or so they often say).

No contractor in their right mind (IMHO) would be joining these schemes if they knew the consequences, but many still don't.
                    Which is why you need to point people in the correct direction and why I will continue to post the likely consequences...

Comment

Working...
                    X