• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darwin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checked with nominet and they seem to agree with me that Eddy's details should be visible as it is a domain that trades.

The address looks very familiar to people who know dodgy iom scams
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think there comes a point in time when you can't make excuses for people who continue to join these schemes.

Ignorance as a mitigation only goes so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I think there comes a point in time when you can't make excuses for people who continue to join these schemes.

Ignorance as a mitigation only goes so far.
        If people believe they work then they are of course welcome to take the risk. But, I don't think they pass even the vaguest of sanity checks. Even as little as 2 minutes of due diligence would surely put anything with more intelligence than a single celled organism off.

Certainly 10 or so years ago they had some plausibility, and there could be a reasonable risk/reward ratio at the time.

But now?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          If people believe they work then they are of course welcome to take the risk. But, I don't think they pass even the vaguest of sanity checks. Even as little as 2 minutes of due diligence would surely put anything with more intelligence than a single celled organism off.

Certainly 10 or so years ago they had some plausibility, and there could be a reasonable risk/reward ratio at the time.

But now?
          Trouble is - it's not difficult to convince someone of something that they want to believe. We have people calling us every single day asking how they can 'maximise their income' - we explain the risks, refer them here and to the BN66 thread and it makes no difference at all. We just end up saying type 90% take home into Google and pick one but don't come crying to us when it all goes hideously wrong
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I'm just sad now.

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            Trouble is - it's not difficult to convince someone of something that they want to believe. We have people calling us every single day asking how they can 'maximise their income' - we explain the risks, refer them here and to the BN66 thread and it makes no difference at all. We just end up saying type 90% take home into Google and pick one but don't come crying to us when it all goes hideously wrong
            This is going to send dreadfully naive, but is there nothing illegal about what these companies do? It just seems bonkers than they can con people into using these schemes without any comeback. Especially given upcoming legislation which effectively means that any existing scheme will fall foul of GAAR and therefore be liable for APNs and FNs at some point in the future.

It's truly depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
              This is going to send dreadfully naive, but is there nothing illegal about what these companies do? It just seems bonkers than they can con people into using these schemes without any comeback. Especially given upcoming legislation which effectively means that any existing scheme will fall foul of GAAR and therefore be liable for APNs and FNs at some point in the future.

It's truly depressing.
              There is a liability for promoters https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...dance_v1_0.pdf but it seems quite a long winded process and I am not sure how effective it will be

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                There is a liability for promoters https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...dance_v1_0.pdf but it seems quite a long winded process and I am not sure how effective it will be
                Sadly, Unless HMRC get the ability to make the directors of such schemes personally jointly liable for all debts they will continue to appear.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Of course they will - if the scheme promoters have no risk of liability they've got nothing to lose have they

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                  X