• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

reputable umbrella companies ratings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There are a number of reputable umbrella companies on here. Have a read in this forum.

Don't go with any company offering you >80% 'take home pay' or a free ipad.
    No free Ipad then, got it.

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
      Not really another ink in the chain because it's something you have complete control over where as an Umbrella company is a third party handling your cash in the chain which just increases the risk in my opinion.

Can you (or are you allowed to) let us know the list of Umbrella's that you can choose from as TheFaQQer has said then people might be able to share their own experiences with those Umbrella companies so you can get some specific feedback that way?

Martin
      Contratax Ltd
      Lets count then.

Ltd case:
      client->agency->Ltd->me

Umbrella case:
      client->agency->umbrella->me

I count same number of inks in the chain.

Now, about how ltd is "freedom and control": you are still dancing under taxmans tune, only now you have to keep more variables in mind while dancing.

In that respect ltd is another ink just as umbrella is. But that is not what this thread is about.

Comment

Originally posted by gardener View Post
        Lets count then.

Ltd case:
        client->agency->Ltd->me

Umbrella case:
        client->agency->umbrella->me

I count same number of inks in the chain.
        Try counting how many links you have no control over:

Ltd case:
        client->agency->Ltd->me = 2

Umbrella case:
        client->agency->umbrella->me = 1

Now, about how ltd is "freedom and control": you are still dancing under taxmans tune, only now you have to keep more variables in mind while dancing.
        Who do you work for if you run your own limited company? Who do you work for if you work for an umbrella company?

How much control does your umbrella company give you over how you operate, or do you have to follow what they say because they are your employer?

In that respect ltd is another ink just as umbrella is.
        Apart from the freedom, control and ownership (and the higher take-home pay), yes, you are correct - they are the same.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning inks in chains, but anyway.....

I've worked through OrangeGenie for a number of years now and haven't had a bad experience yet.

Their online portal is relatively simply to use for timesheets and expenses etc and more importantly, they pay on time and are quick to answer any queries.

I'd be happy to recommend them, but as always do your own research and make sure whoever you choose is right for you.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations lads

To the op - there are a number of things you need to be aware of when choosing an umbrella company and how their actions could affect you.

Firstly, you need to ensure that the whole contract value less the umbrella company's margin is subject to PAYE tax; some companies advertise themselves as brollies but, in fact, operate tax avoidance schemes which use loans or trusts that will put you at serious financial risk (there is a whole section on this forum devoted to the trouble that contractors have found themselves in after using an avoidance scheme).

Secondly you should check out the contract of employment that you will be signing with them to make sure that it is genuinely overarching - this is a complicated issue but HMRC have extensive guidance in their own internal manuals ESM2075 - Agency and temporary workers: overarching contracts of employment - background - this will give you an overview of the concept but you will find more here: ESM2085 - Agency and temporary workers: overarching contracts of employment - the contract. If the umbrella company doesn't operate an over arching contract your workplaces will be viewed as permanent by HMRC and you will have no entitlement to tax relief on travel and subsistence expenses which could mean a bill for additional tax in the future. The umbrella company should also ask you to confirm that it is your intention to work on more than one assignment whilst you are in their employment - a single assignment would be viewed as permanent by HMRC and, again, you would have no entitlement to tax relief on travel and subsistence expenses.

Thirdly you should ask them all for quotes and ensure that the figures you are provided with are more or less identical (the only difference should be the margin retained by the umbrella company) - if one company offers more than another then they may be operating a tax avoidance scheme or they may be including an amount for expenses in the calculation that you would not actually be entitled to claim.

Fourthly you should ensure that you would be entitled to all the statutory payments whilst in their employment - this is a legal obligation and any payments should be made from the umbrella company's profits and not from monies which are deducted from the contractor to cover such payments. You should also ensure that any holiday pay will be paid to you when you actually are on leave and not 'rolled up' as part of your weekly/monthly salary.

Fifthly you should ensure that you would be entitled to a salary payment even if the umbrella company had not received funds from the agency - the amount that is processed after the umbrella company's margin has been accounted for as well as the amount that they are legally obliged to pay for Employer's NIC's must exceed minimum wage otherwise there will be a contravention of the legislation surrounding minimum wage payments.

Lastly you should ensure that any questions you have can be answered comprehensively by the person you speak to when you make your enquiries - you should know exactly what to expect.

HTH
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

My list:

Black Diamond Umbrella ltd
              CPM (contranet project management) ltd
              Focused Consulting
              Nasa Umbrella ltd
              Parasol Limited
              Cascade Management solutions ltd
              Danbro
              Hyperlink Services ltd
              Orange Genie Cover Limited
              Paystream My Max ltd
              Giant
              You might like to have a read of this: http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...de-london.html
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

ContractorUmbrella are the best in my opinion, Parasol are horrendous do a search and you'll find a host of threads about employment charges etc
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

My list:

Orange Genie Cover Limited
                  Paystream My Max ltd
                  Giant
                  These guys are on our supplier list and very good IMHO
                  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Orange Genie takes the cake so far

Thanks all who advised me.
                    Out of few companies I contacted Orange Genie was most responsive and helpfull so far.

Comment

Parasol are a friendly bunch at least they were when I was with them.

Umbrella Company | PAYE Umbrella or Limited set up? | Parasol

Comment

Working...
                      X