• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie here... Unsure...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here... Unsure...

Hello,

I am a mum of young children and after many years of working for big companies, I have decided that might not be the best option for me.

I am looking to work from home and have found a couple of consulting firms who are happy to give me work I can do from home on an adhoc basis.

It may also be possible to take on short contracts that come up from time to time near my home town.

There are also some firms that allow you to bid for work that I can do at home.

The thing is I won't be earning enough money doing this to have to pay tax.

Should I set up as a sole trader, start a limited company or use an umbrella company? It is all so confusing!

I am planning to do this for about 3 years to keep my hand in and also have something for my CV so it doesn't look too blank.

Thank you,

Butterfly

If the client will let you, then sole trader is the simplest. If not, then your best bet would be to look at a trustworthy umbrella - Ltd just isn't worth it at the income level you describe.

Good luck with it, and welcome
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Agree with DirtyDog - your best bet would be to register as a sole trader - if the work is irregular then an umbrella company would not really be a suitable option for you
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
      X