• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compusource, anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post

Yes unfortunately an umbrella company cannot process expenses that were incurred during another employment; you may however be able to claim the tax relief through self assessment.
    There is an ni hit, but its better than nothing of course. Its always struck me as a bit mean that you cant get ni relief. But such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post

There is an ni hit, but its better than nothing of course. Its always struck me as a bit mean that you cant get ni relief. But such is life.

Sorry, can you elaborate? I don't understand what you mean by NI hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post

Sorry, can you elaborate? I don't understand what you mean by NI hit.
        You will be able to get tax relief through self-assessment, but you won't be able to claim any sort of deduction on the NI.

Better than nothing though!

Craig

Comment

thanks. I'm also not even sure when my 'employment' with Compusource ended. Was it from December, when I stopped asking them to submit invoices on my behalf? Their website, which had disappeared, has come back online but they do indeed seem to have gone out of business. I called the number and no reply. Because they stopped sending me pay advices I don't even have those from October. Bit worried about the implications of all this.

Comment

thanks. I'm also not even sure when my 'employment' with Compusource ended. Was it from December, when I stopped asking them to submit invoices on my behalf? Their website, which had disappeared, has come back online but they do indeed seem to have gone out of business. I called the number and no reply. Because they stopped sending me pay advices I don't even have those from October. Bit worried about the implications of all this.
            Choose an new way QUICKLY - be it umbrella or Ltd.

Look here if you're not sure http://www.contractoruk.com/first_ti...r_company.html but there is advice on this thread

Once you have done that choose an umbrella company or an accountant. (have a look though threads here if you're worried about jumping into the fire...)

Call your choice - they will be able to help you sort this out.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You need to know what your tax position is - whether or not the correct payments to HMRC were made by Compusource and whether or not you will owe anything to HMRC. I assume that you didn't receive a P45? If you PM me one of your pay advices I can see whether or not PAYE was operated correctly.

As Cojak said - you need to find another umbrella or set up a Ltd Co asap
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Thanks all. Now I AM nervous! I'm trying to sort this out between now and Monday, but what's the implications of not sorting this out quickly? what kind of problems could I find myself in?? really appreciate the great advice I'm getting!

Comment

Thanks all. Now I AM nervous! I'm trying to sort this out between now and Monday, but what's the implications of not sorting this out quickly? what kind of problems could I find myself in?? really appreciate the great advice I'm getting!
                  1) Not getting paid FOR ANY WORK from next week (immediate problem). - In fact you may have already lost this week's money...

2) Getting into trouble with the tax man (not immediate, but it becomes a serious problem pretty damn quick).
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I think the payment thing is ok. I submit my timesheets to the company's system which are then signed off internally. I was then completing a timesheet on Compusource's system, and they would then invoice the company I'm working for. So basically I have a backlog of timesheets that need invoicing for, so I'm still due to be paid.

The taxman sounds like the much more serious problem!!

Comment

I think the payment thing is ok. I submit my timesheets to the company's system which are then signed off internally. I was then completing a timesheet on Compusource's system, and they would then invoice the company I'm working for. So basically I have a backlog of timesheets that need invoicing for, so I'm still due to be paid.

The taxman sounds like the much more serious problem!!
                      So you are working through an agency and they have a record of hours worked but you don't have an umbrella company/Ltd co to bill them - is that right? Firstly I would check with the agency that the last invoice they paid Compusource corresponds with the last payment that you received - it's possible that they received money from your agency but it didn't come to you before they folded.

How were Compusource paying you? What tax and NI deductions are shown on your payslips?
                      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X