• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fees charges by Childcare Voucher scheme providers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to go via a voucher scheme

My daughter's nursery fees are well over the threshold of £243. In fact if both me and my wife (full time employed elsewhere) take the full £243 each there is still an outstanding balance.

As a new contractor, yet to start first contract but in the process of setting everything up, my question is whether I need to use a voucher process at all?

Can I just pay £243 direct from my company bank account every month and top-up the rest out of my personal money?

Lance.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      My daughter's nursery fees are well over the threshold of £243. In fact if both me and my wife (full time employed elsewhere) take the full £243 each there is still an outstanding balance.

As a new contractor, yet to start first contract but in the process of setting everything up, my question is whether I need to use a voucher process at all?

Can I just pay £243 direct from my company bank account every month and top-up the rest out of my personal money?

Lance.
      There is no need to use a voucher scheme - you can simply set up an agreement between the childcare provider and your company for part of the fee (£243) to be paid by the company.

You need to ensure that a copy of the agreement is retained for the company's records in case of an enquiry by HMRC.

Hope this helps!
      Craig

Comment

Perfect. Thanks Craig.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Just to add to what Craig rightly said - if your child is too young for nursery then you may want to consider buying vouchers as you can save them and use them at a later date. You'll incur an admin fee from the voucher provider, but it will enable you to save the vouchers for later.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

different amount

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
            There is no need to use a voucher scheme - you can simply set up an agreement between the childcare provider and your company for part of the fee (£243) to be paid by the company.

You need to ensure that a copy of the agreement is retained for the company's records in case of an enquiry by HMRC.

Hope this helps!
            Craig
            Hi Graig,

My account manager said mine is 55 pounds per week so roughly 238 pounds per month. I take 7680£ salary, is that the reason why my limit is slightly lower.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 7of9 View Post
              Hi Graig,

My account manager said mine is 55 pounds per week so roughly 238 pounds per month. I take 7680£ salary, is that the reason why my limit is slightly lower.

Thanks!
              Um because HMRC says its upto £55 a week or £243 a month see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/ir115.pdf

and the HMRC logic is based on the possibility of there being a 53 week payment year rather than 52 weeks...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi Graig,

Thanks!
                The legislation (see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/ir115.pdf) says £55 per week or £243 per month. The £55 per week x 52 weeks / 12 months is £238.33 so I assume that is where this has come from.

If you are claiming the childcare monthly then you can have £243 per month.

The above assumes that you are a basic rate tax payer based on your salary, if you have a higher salary and entered the childcare scheme after 06/04/2011 then the amount will be lower.

Craig

Comment

Thank you very much, eek and Graig. £243 it is. I am going to write an agreement for my childminder and I to sign. Is there any thing else I or my accountant need to do?

Comment

Thank you very much, eek and Graig. £243 it is. I am going to write an agreement for my childminder and I to sign. Is there any thing else I or my accountant need to do?
                    Set up the payment of £243 to come from the company each month and give a copy of the agreement to your accountant for their records.

Aside from that it sounds like you're set!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                      Set up the payment of £243 to come from the company each month and give a copy of the agreement to your accountant for their records.

Aside from that it sounds like you're set!

Craig
                      Thanks Craig. I wish my account manager can response this fast.

Comment

Working...
                      X