• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High Take Home Pay Schemes - a warning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this not all down to your attitude to risk?

No one likes to pay tax and the Courts have agreed in the past that there is nothing wrong with legally arranging your affairs so that you pay as little as possible.

HMRC are currently tasked with raising an additional £7Bn per year by 2015.

In this climate HMRC are obviously going to try and stop avoidance if they can, as more people are likely to be looking for ways to minimise what they have to pay.

Tax avoidance is legal and tax evasion is not, although I accept that HMRC and Government ministers either no longer understand the concept or are are trying to deliberately blur the picture (surely not!).

If someone comes up with a cunning plan to pay less tax and it is legal, whether through badly written legislation or otherwise, then it is down to me as an individual to do my own due diligence on the product and then decide whether to use it or not, based on my own attitude to risk.

Do I expect HMRC to like it, no of course not, particularly with their current targets, but that does not mean they can just ignore the legal position.

They can certainly challenge any avoidance where they think they might have a case and can make as much noise about avoidance that they don't like but can't stop, or they can legislate to change things in the future.

The concept of retrospective legislation doesn't sit too comfortably in a western democracy. I know what the law is today, but how am I supposed to organise my affairs, pay the right tax and complete my tax return correctly if someone is going to change the law that applies today, next week, month or year?

HMRC have a habit of delaying tactics or claiming they will close things down and that is just all part of their game plan of trying to stop more people taking similar action. I don't have a problem with that but just as with solution providers, I don't necessarily believe everything they say.

A case in point would be IR35 which HMRC told us would raise £000's of millions annually but earlier this year the Office for Tax Simplification revealed IR35 investigations had dropped significantly and they were now raising as little as £1million annually!

Gather as much information as you can and make an informed decision for yourself. If you claim not to have full detals of it then I would suggest that you certainly should not be considering it.

Comment

Well put Taxless and absolutely right; it all comes down to calculated risk but the important word here is 'calculated' - anyone who doesn't fully understand the scheme and still enters into it is just taking a (big) risk
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I am in absolute agreement with you Taxless, I advise every potential client to go and do their own research and certainly not take my word that our scheme works and TBH if any provider doesn't give that advice or is not happy to discuss it with a clients tax advisor in intricate detail people should run a mile

Comment

However we came across some umbrtella companies or accountant do not have the right knowledge to educate their clients. This kind of misleading providers are someone need to be blamed

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          Well put Taxless and absolutely right; it all comes down to calculated risk but the important word here is 'calculated' - anyone who doesn't fully understand the scheme and still enters into it is just taking a (big) risk

Comment

Working...
          X