• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New umbrella company required!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    We deduct and pay back as rolled up holiday pay is not allowed Taking your holiday : Directgov - Employment.
    It seems that parasol are also using rolled up holiday pay:

Paid holiday is your statutory holiday and you can earn up to 28 days paid holiday a year. Your holiday pay will be included in your normal weekly or monthly pay so you won’t receive any holiday pay when you take your time off. Unpaid holiday is your contractual holiday set out in your contract of employment and you have 22 days unpaid holiday a year.
    Last edited by The Spartan; 7 December 2011, 08:46. Reason: Added more information to the post
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      It seems that parasol are also using rolled up holiday pay:

Paid holiday is your statutory holiday and you can earn up to 28 days paid holiday a year. Your holiday pay will be included in your normal weekly or monthly pay so you won’t receive any holiday pay when you take your time off. Unpaid holiday is your contractual holiday set out in your contract of employment and you have 22 days unpaid holiday a year.
      It would appear so but I am at a loss to explain the 22 days unpaid leave
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

It would appear so but I am at a loss to explain the 22 days unpaid leave
        Yeah that stumped me as well, I asked about the difference between Employer's NI and the amount for employment costs and got this:

Employment costs consist mainly of Employers' National Insurance Contributions (NIC) but they also include amounts to cover your insurance costs, as well as enough funds in order to pay you, should you be on sick leave or maternity leave etc.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Yeah that stumped me as well, I asked about the difference between Employer's NI and the amount for employment costs and got this:

Employment costs consist mainly of Employers' National Insurance Contributions (NIC) but they also include amounts to cover your insurance costs, as well as enough funds in order to pay you, should you be on sick leave or maternity leave etc.
          So if you’re never off sick or never go on maternity leave, presumably they still keep this money for themselves? They may well have increased overheads as a result of recent employment legislation, but they should adjust their up-front fees accordingly, to ensure that overall they still make an acceptable margin. It still boils down to one thing ... unless they refund you this money should you not go off sick (etc), then they’re effectively increasing their fees but in a non-transparent manner.

Also, didn’t Lisa earlier confirm that it is the employer who is liable for these costs, not the employee?!?

I asked my Umbrella whose pocket any sick pay would actually come out of, given that this is a new concept to me as a contractor. The reply was “You would qualify for SSP, we would pay you the stat amount and reclaim this from the government.” So is it the case that an Umbrella can reclaim any sick pay in this way? If so, why would Parasol be making you pay?

Comment

Well if it is the case that deductions are being made to cover SSP/SMP then the Company is not fulfilling its obligations as an employer; if an individual has been employed with you for more than 26 weeks up to the 15th week before the baby is born HM Revenue & Customs: Statutory Maternity Pay: an overview

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
              So if you’re never off sick or never go on maternity leave, presumably they still keep this money for themselves? They may well have increased overheads as a result of recent employment legislation, but they should adjust their up-front fees accordingly, to ensure that overall they still make an acceptable margin. It still boils down to one thing ... unless they refund you this money should you not go off sick (etc), then they’re effectively increasing their fees but in a non-transparent manner.

Also, didn’t Lisa earlier confirm that it is the employer who is liable for these costs, not the employee?!?

I asked my Umbrella whose pocket any sick pay would actually come out of, given that this is a new concept to me as a contractor. The reply was “You would qualify for SSP, we would pay you the stat amount and reclaim this from the government.” So is it the case that an Umbrella can reclaim any sick pay in this way? If so, why would Parasol be making you pay?
              You are right Wary - SSP is payable by the umbrella company, as the employer, but it can the be reclaimed from HMR&C as a deduction from the monthly PAYE payment due. SMP can also be recovered but we can only reclaim 92% due to the size of the company.
              HTH

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

You are right Wary - SSP is payable by the umbrella company, as the employer, but it can the be reclaimed from HMR&C as a deduction from the monthly PAYE payment due. SMP can also be recovered but we can only reclaim 92% due to the size of the company.
                HTH
                Lisa are you allowed to roll up Pay between assignments and pay it upfront?
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

HTH
                  So why would Parasol or indeed any other umbrella be justified in deducting an allowance for this as "employment costs" when they claim back any money paid out anyway?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Wary View Post
                    So why would Parasol or indeed any other umbrella be justified in deducting an allowance for this as "employment costs" when they claim back any money paid out anyway?!?
                    They're more or less doubling their margin on each contractor
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Steven@Parasol View Post
                      Employment costs consist mainly of Employers’ National Insurance Contributions (NIC) but they also include amounts to cover your insurance costs, as well as enough funds in order to pay you should you be on sick leave or maternity leave etc.
                      The rate of Employer’s NIC is currently 13.8% of earnings above £136 per week.

At Parasol we calculate employment costs to be 13.8% of the invoice value we raise for your work, minus our margin and the NIC free amount of £136 per week. For example, if we raise an invoice for your work of £1,000 a week, the employment cost will be calculated as follows:

£1,000 - £27.50 Parasol margin - £136 NIC free allowance = £836.50

So in the example above the employment cost is £101.44
                      Been looking back at some old posts on this thread, and here's an explanation from Steve. He admits that their "Employment Costs" do include keeping some money to supposedly cover sick/maternity overheads. However, his "employment cost" calculation example does not contain any of this; it simply calculates the employers NI, implying that it is not the true calculation that they use. Indeed on post #45, Lisa queried as to whether the calculations he was quoting on this thread were the true ones that they use and asked him to clarify, but he suddendly went AWOL.

Steve - if you're confident that Parasol are acting in an ethical and legitimate way and you're no issue with total transparency, I really suggest that you come back on this thread and start providing some clarification on exactly how Parasol calculate their charges etc. Is it true that you actually claim most of the sick pay back? Would you pay contractors for time off between contracts, or has an allowance for this already been included within the monthly pay as per an assertion made on this forum yesterday?

Personally, I've no issue with any umbrella ensuring that they cover any increased costs due to employment law changes, but it should be as part of the upfront fee to ensure total transparency, and to allow contractors to compare one umbrella against another when deciding who to go with. Lisa has confirmed that this is how she operates.
                      Last edited by Wary; 9 December 2011, 06:20. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X