• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New umbrella company required!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jet spanner View Post
    Well their claim is that it is part of "the companys payroll costs" as stipulated in clause 3.5 of my contract of employment
    Where did you find that? sorry if I sound dumb as I can't find anything on their online portal
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      Where did you find that? sorry if I sound dumb as I can't find anything on their online portal
      It was explained in an email reply from them last week when I queried the employment costs, and they attached a pdf of my employment contract. I dont recall receiving a contract at the start of my assignment, but perhaps I ticked a box or signed something. even if i had got a lawyer to look through it with a fine toothcomb there is no way i could have anticipated what would happen.
      I suggest that when you get your next payslip, ask how much of employment costs consists of employers NI. They wouldnt divulge the breakdown of the remaining costs to me, but it might be worth pursuing.

Comment

It was explained in an email reply from them last week when I queried the employment costs, and they attached a pdf of my employment contract. I dont recall receiving a contract at the start of my assignment, but perhaps I ticked a box or signed something. even if i had got a lawyer to look through it with a fine toothcomb there is no way i could have anticipated what would happen.
        I suggest that when you get your next payslip, ask how much of employment costs consists of employers NI. They wouldnt divulge the breakdown of the remaining costs to me, but it might be worth pursuing.
        So Steve says on this forum that he'll discuss your payslip deductions with each of you individually, but when you attempt to do so, they refuse to give you a full breakdown of the costs?!?

I'm not thick and when I went brolly, I scrutinised my contract very carefully. But I'd understand from that clause that the "payroll costs" are fully covered by the agreed up-front fees, fair or foul, and they wouldn't charge anything beyond this without it being agreed up-front.

Comment

Yeah I would have thought the payroll costs would have been part of the £119.50 a month they charge. I guess not
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

There is actually a legal obligation for Employers to provide a breakdown of deductions - from HMRC site:

"Pay statements
            You'll have to give each of your employees a pay statement - or payslip - at or before the time that you pay them. This can be in either paper or electronic format but it must show certain items, including each employee's gross pay (before any deductions are made), all deductions and the purposes for which they are made, and the net amount payable after the deductions have been made (also known as take home pay). If you don't give your employees an itemised payslip they could complain to an employment tribunal"

HM Revenue & Customs: PAYE for employers: the basics
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

So they're in breach of the law possibly, oh how I love irony sometimes
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Total Pay = 4,250
                Expenses = 1330
                Umbrella Margin = 119.50
                Employment Costs = 429
                Employee NI = 211
                Tax = 224

Total net pay = 3,264

Both the umbrella margin and employment costs were deducted before the tax and NI from what I can see
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Monthly Weekly

Income 4250.00
                  Expenses 1330.00

Employer's NI 272.36
                  Employee's NI 235.28
                  Employee Tax 387.94
                  Total All Tax 895.58
                  CU Margin 85.00
                  Total Net Income 3,269.42

HTH

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Monthly Weekly

Income 4250.00
                    Expenses 1330.00

Employer's NI 272.36
                    Employee's NI 235.28
                    Employee Tax 387.94
                    Total All Tax 895.58
                    CU Margin 85.00
                    Total Net Income 3,269.42

HTH
                    Do you roll up holiday pay into that or do you deduct and give it back at a later date?
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                      Do you roll up holiday pay into that or do you deduct and give it back at a later date?
                      We deduct and pay back as rolled up holiday pay is not allowed Taking your holiday : Directgov - Employment.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X