• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suspicious Umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspicious Umbrella company

Hi

This is my first post, and what's brought me here is a suspicion of my umbrella company doing the dirty on me!

I wish I could post a screenshot of my payslip (if there's a way let me know so it makes what I'll try to explain more clearer)

The umbrella is PAYERISE. I work for DayWebster which they say more than half there clients use this umbrella and have never had problems. The agency get NHS contracts in public and private sector.

I make a day rate of £135 (5 days a week)

The umbrella pays me a low pay and some holiday pay straight out which for this example let's say is 300 per week. I then get deducted the income tax and NI from there

I then get a "business income" which bumps my pay up to 484 a week (which is my final salary)

at the bottom I have some deductions but which states (just an example)

Employer NI £25
    Unbrellla fee £10
    Expenses and tax £125

What nakes ne suspicious is this expenses and taxes. So I rang PAYERSIE and here is there excuse

"This is an amount we keep in a pot that we then pay in January for your income tax and this allows you to have a little bit more higher take home pay" something along those lines. Not word for word

Can someone shed light on this? and what do you suggest I do?

Also I usually ask to get paid on the last Friday of the month (usually four weeks) and if I get paid weekly my take home is 484 but if I do four weekly (WITH JUST ONE FEE OF £10... NOT £40) it equal 4x 484 (instead of making an extra 30 over those four weeks)

so I feel like the umbrella company will just make sure my pay is 484 and "pockets" the money they don't declare or take from me saving on fees

Looks dodgy af. Quick check on umbrella calc says your net should be around 460

Comment

Take a look at this thread - may be insightful for you.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...ayerise-2.html

Then maybe rethink your choice of brolly

Comment

Originally posted by conahboys View Post
        Hi

at the bottom I have some deductions but which states (just an example)

Employer NI £25
        Unbrellla fee £10
        Expenses and tax £125

What nakes ne suspicious is this expenses and taxes. So I rang PAYERSIE and here is there excuse

"This is an amount we keep in a pot that we then pay in January for your income tax and this allows you to have a little bit more higher take home pay" something along those lines. Not word for word
        Also - if they are still allowing expenses for tax relief purposes then that's the first issue - and HMRC may come after you for the personal tax relief you have received.

As for tax payments to HMRC any compliant brolly will be making these payment every single month.

Quote from .gov site for your reference:

"You must pay your PAYE bill to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by:

the 22nd of the next tax month if you pay monthly
        the 22nd after the end of the quarter if you pay quarterly - for example, 22 July for the 6 April to 5 July quarter

If you pay by cheque through the post the deadline is the 19th of the month."

Comment

My advice would be to run a mile! The basic rule is that there is simply no legitimate way of enhancing contractor take home pay. Companies which market solutions to do so should be strictly avoided.

Comment

If there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
            https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Hearing these guys are getting real traction in the market.

Offering 90% retentions mainly to lower paid healthcare workers INSIDE IR35

You have to wonder how they are doing it? (PS I know)
              https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post

Offering 90% retentions mainly to lower paid healthcare workers INSIDE IR35

You have to wonder how they are doing it? (PS I know)
                Why don't you tell us then?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have details that show a payslip with only NWM wage payment for an invoice value on weekly basis of £1545!!! No mention of where the other funds go - anyone want to take an educated guess???

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                    And targeting the NHS NUrses - think it is now called Payerise Nurses

Comment

Working...
                    X