Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Set up company or go umbrella?

I moved out of contract market a couple of years ago and shut down my company.

Now looking to get another contract and looking into either being lazy and going umbrella or setting up a new company.

Are there still big benefits of having a ltd as the dividend tax breaks have all but being removed?

Expect to be on a 6 month contract with possibility of further 6-12 months and rate around 600 day.
    Twitter: jonsmile

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JonSmile View Post
    Expect to be on a 6 month contract with possibility of further 6-12 months and rate around 600 day.
    On the assumptions that this is private sector and you intend to do more than one contract, limited company would be my gut feeling.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obviously there are more elements to consider than just your day rate but, with a contractual day rate of 600 and some expectation of this being more than a short term thing then it would seem that you would be well advised to operate through a limited company.

Although the way in which dividends are taxed has changed and you would be likely to have a liability where previously you may not have. The notional tax credit has also been removed meaning that you actually have to take more income to reach the basic rate threshold.

You do also, of course have more control over your personal income and therefore rates of tax when operating through a PSC than an Umbrella and there is the potential to claim travel and subsistence expenses as well.

This is only a start and you will need to discuss your situation and needs with an accountant.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me the question would be one of 'how long do you intend staying contracting' because on the face of it at that rate a LTD would be my choice.

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As everyone said, if this is a short-term thing then umbrella may be right for you, if not then Ltd would net you more (outside IR35).

Don't forget you can always start with a brolly, and if you decide to go down the Ltd company route, you always have the option to move once its all set up.
    Just watching what I say

We now offer Ltd too, so if you need a company that you can switch between Ltd & Umbrella, just shout!

Connect with me on LinkedIn

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JonSmile View Post
    I moved out of contract market a couple of years ago and shut down my company.

Now looking to get another contract and looking into either being lazy and going umbrella or setting up a new company.

Are there still big benefits of having a ltd as the dividend tax breaks have all but being removed?

Ltd financially better, but choose a company which enables you to swap between the two for no additional fees or hassle. Like mine ...

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    Don't forget you can always start with a brolly, and if you decide to go down the Ltd company route, you always have the option to move once its all set up.
    Not sure I agree with this.

If the OP is outside IR35, the contracting model for limited and umbrella is very different. In the umbrella model you are usually supplied as a specific individual and things like AWR apply (so the agency has to get comparable salary info, apply uplifts etc) whereas in the limited model the PSC is supplying a service which may or may not be delivered by the individual.

In my experience, agencies are reluctant to allow people to switch from umbrella to limited mid-assignment as it increases risks of IR35 investigation.

TripleIronDad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Limited.
    Katy Perry - don't be afraid to catch feels. Taylor Swift - feels $1 a go.

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mike67 View Post

If the OP is outside IR35, the contracting model for limited and umbrella is very different. In the umbrella model you are usually supplied as a specific individual and things like AWR apply (so the agency has to get comparable salary info, apply uplifts etc) whereas in the limited model the PSC is supplying a service which may or may not be delivered by the individual.

In my experience, agencies are reluctant to allow people to switch from umbrella to limited mid-assignment as it increases risks of IR35 investigation.
    Maybe the landscape back in 2005 was different but that's exactly what I did when I first started. I landed a contract, had no idea what I was doing, so went with a brolly for three months while I worked it all out and set up my LtdCo. I then transferred my contract over to my LtdCo and the agency were absolutely fine about it. It was public sector, too, local county council.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mike67 View Post

I think the assumption we are going on is this is private sector so can forget all those shenanigans for now. Much simpler and there is or problem switching generally.

It's an assumption though so have to see if the OP will clarify.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!