• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

proof ID

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proof ID

Hi all,

Contractor Umbrella wants my proof ID (passport, driving license) for finalizing all paperwork, I need to send them one of those documents as they located in Essex and I live in Scotland.
    They need an original not a copy of it as this is now requirements from HMRC (according to them).
    Question is, how can I be sure that my ID will not be used for some illegal actions before they will send it to back to me ?
    Is it a standard procedure for Umbrella's to send them proof ID ? ( I have provided proof ID for Agency already but they in located in my town so they just copied it).
    Another thing is that Umbrella needs my Skype Face Time call recorded ? is not awkward ?

Originally posted by Kerbi View Post
    Hi all,

Contractor Umbrella wants my proof ID (passport, driving license) for finalizing all paperwork, I need to send them one of those documents as they located in Essex and I live in Scotland.
    They need an original not a copy of it as this is now requirements from HMRC (according to them).
    Question is, how can I be sure that my ID will not be used for some illegal actions before they will send it to back to me ?
    Is it a standard procedure for Umbrella's to send them proof ID ? ( I have provided proof ID for Agency already but they in located in my town so they just copied it).
    Another thing is that Umbrella needs my Skype Face Time call recorded ? is not awkward ?
    They need to know who you claim to be and that does mean that they need to see your passport - as they will be your EMPLOYER... To be honest its quicker and easier to send it special delivery tell them you've sent it knowing they'll photo copy it and return it the following day than taking it into town...

Of course if you don't trust them you need to find another umbrella (although as Contractor Umbrella is just about the only one we recommend around here due to its flexibility that would be difficult) but all companies have to see your passport and most will insist on seeing the actual version not a photocopy... Equally what exactly can they do with your passport that you couldn't do when you gave it to the person in the Agency to photocopy...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How can you be sure anyone will misuse it. You need to provide this level of evidence for just about anything nowadays. Every contract the limited people for require this due to laws about right to work.

The Skype thing just take a couple of seconds and isnt awkward at all.

To be fair would you be happy with a brolly that didn't do these things??
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I should imagine the Skype thing is to make sure you are the person on the passport. Recording is due diligence in case of any enquiry.

Most agencies will, as you say, allow you to pop in and wait while they photocopy your passport. The post and Skype thing is just another way of achieving the same end.

Comment

I would check whether they will accept a certified copy rather than just a copy - Post Office will certify up to three documents for not very much money.

Failing that, special delivery and tell them you expect a receipt for the postage coming back the same day to minimise the opportunity for them to lose them.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks guys,

You calmed me down a bit, so I have decided to send it via Special Delivery.
            Hope all will be all right then.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I would check whether they will accept a certified copy rather than just a copy
              The Home Office won't allow us to accept certified copies anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Kerbi View Post
                Thanks guys,

You calmed me down a bit, so I have decided to send it via Special Delivery.
                Hope all will be all right then.
                Hi Kerbi, please rest assured we are a very trustworthy company - we wouldn't have been in business for over 15 years if we were "up to anything". If you wish to see the reasons why we do it this way please take a look at the Right to Work Checks that should be enforced by an brolly.

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                  please rest assured we are a very trustworthy company
                  You would say that, though, wouldn't you?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    You would say that, though, wouldn't you?
                    I was always taught by my parents to tell the truth

Comment

Working...
                    X