• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Independent advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independent advice

Hi all,

Can anyone convince me that this forum isn't biased in terms of advice for umbrella companies since it seems to only be linked positively with one particular umbrella company?

Are there any independent organisations that provide advice to new contractors looking for an umbrella company?

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jkgom; 2 May 2017, 20:09.

Originally posted by jkgom View Post
    Hi all,

Can anyone convince me that this forum isn't biased in terms of advice for umbrella companies since it seems to only be linked positively with one particular umbrella company?

Are there any independent organisations that provide advice to new contractors looking for an umbrella company?

Many thanks in advance!
    It's not for us to convince you, we aren't selling anything.

Lucy at contractorumbrella has been here years, gives good advice and there are posters here who use her company and are very happy with the service offered.

However there are other umbrellas that are members of All Umbrella Companies Are Equal, ask them about their fees and get reviews on their customer service.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Unfortunately only about 3 firms that run umbrella companies decide to post on here and out of those as you can see ContractorUmbrella is the most frequent.

One of the others posts if there are complaints about their service, while another mainly deals with contractors working abroad.

Btw Edit your post to remove your name unless you want agencies etc to work out who you are in future, as all threads are viewable via a Google search.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And we don't advise on specific umbrellas, we advise on choosing a legitimate umbrella
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          It's not for us to convince you, we aren't selling anything.
          Exactly why I asked! It's a forum isn't it.. but All Umbrella Companies Are Equal is great, thanks!

Also, removed my name but wondering what the real risk is if my complaining about the umbrella company will force them to review their conduct to avoid a bad reputation? Or will I be disciplined as an "employee"?

I'm only a few weeks in the country and I have about 25 tabs open trying to get my head around this whole thing.. what with the teething issues of the new legislation etc...

Comment

Apparently All Umbrella Companies Are Equal was dissolved in Jan 2017?
            https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08555057

I was recommended this by my umbrella company instead for independent regilation of UC's (I realise the potential bias in this statement)..
            FCSA Accredited Members | Highest standard in compliance

Comment

Apparently All Umbrella Companies Are Equal was dissolved in Jan 2017?
              https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08555057

I was recommended this by my umbrella company instead for independent regilation of UC's (I realise the potential bias in this statement)..
              FCSA Accredited Members | Highest standard in compliance
              AUCAE dissolved? That's a bummer.

Well, it looks as if we'll be pointing posters to the FCSA in future...

Comment

Admin has always promised that if the forum is biased, you will get your subscription fee back.

You get what you pay for.

Comment

Exactly why I asked! It's a forum isn't it.. but All Umbrella Companies Are Equal is great, thanks!
                  AUCAE share two directors with Contractor Umbrella, so maybe one will be along to explain what's happening at some stage.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Well, it looks as if we'll be pointing posters to the FCSA in future...
                    Contractor Umbrella aren't associate or affiliate members of FCSA, but that wouldn't necessarily prevent me from recommending them.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X