• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday/sick pay, hours offered etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I don't think I've seen anyone struggle this hard with brollies... Ever.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      They want to know if I want the company to retain holiday/sick pay or for me to get it - WTF.
      They should be retaining it, if they are paying you back every pay period then they are operating rolled up holiday pay, which was classified as unlawful in 2006 under the EU Working Time Directive! As for sickpay, they cannot ask this to come from you the contractor, it must be paid for out of their profit, if they retain this, it is classed as an unlawful deduction of earnings

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
        They should be retaining it, if they are paying you back every pay period then they are operating rolled up holiday pay, which was classified as unlawful in 2006 under the EU Working Time Directive! As for sickpay, they cannot ask this to come from you the contractor, it must be paid for out of their profit, if they retain this, it is classed as an unlawful deduction of earnings
        They gave me an option to retain holiday pay.

BTW - this is a company on the list. Sterling.

Not a great start mind. They promised to call me back at 1pm yesterday and didnt bother.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Not a great start mind. They promised to call me back at 1pm yesterday and didnt bother.
          Maybe you could hint to your agency

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
            In my experience the umbrella cos I've used post 2006 did not retain holiday pay. Holiday pay was itemised it on my payslip and paid it as 'an advance on account of sums due'. I know that Contract Umbrella do retain holiday pay. Some do and some don't, it's probably just an interpretation of HMRC's convoluted rules. Given a choice I'd choose an umbrella co who don't hold onto my pay.

As to why they pay most of your pay as a bonus, this is because they have an employment contract with you and must by law pay you minimum wage. If you have a signed timesheet and the umbrella co's invoice isn't paid they must still pay you min wage.
            Last edited by bikeman; 17 April 2017, 20:26.

Comment

Right this might be a stupid question but they really pay sick pay out of their own pocket? How does this work for them then?

Surely I could work for a week (say earn £2000 and get paid it) then pull a sickie for a month? Where does the money come for this?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Well you were right on one point anyway.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Right this might be a stupid question but they really pay sick pay out of their own pocket? How does this work for them then?

Surely I could work for a week (say earn £2000 and get paid it) then pull a sickie for a month? Where does the money come for this?
                  https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/eligibility

You need to have worked for eight weeks before SSP becomes payable. Maybe you should read up on your rights as an employee?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
                    In my experience the umbrella cos I've used post 2006 did not retain holiday pay. Holiday pay was itemised it on my payslip and paid it as 'an advance on account of sums due'. I know that Contract Umbrella do retain holiday pay. Some do and some don't, it's probably just an interpretation of HMRC's convoluted rules. Given a choice I'd choose an umbrella co who don't hold onto my pay.
                    Rolling it up is in contravention with the EU Working Time Directive but that doesn't stop some - who knows how it will / can be operated post Brexit

Comment

Presumably they retain some of your pay to cover sick days? Or as long as you're paid in arrears they have something in the pipeline to cover it. One things for sure it wont be coming out of anyone's pocket except yours.
                      Last edited by bikeman; 23 April 2017, 18:27.

Comment

Working...
                      X