• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday/sick pay, hours offered etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
    Presumably they retain some of your pay to cover sick days? Or as long as you're paid in arrears they have something in the pipeline to cover it. One things for sure it wont be coming out of anyone's pocket except yours.
    Nope - legally it must come from the brolly!

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
      Nope - legally it must come from the brolly!
      That doesn't sound like good business for them

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
        That doesn't sound like good business for them
        It isn't but it is law

Comment

Just been having a chat with Crystal Umbrella and they seem to have the same practice. They deduct 14.3% of the contract rate with no employers NI tax allowances included \ allowed for (13.8% NI + 0.5% levy on total amount). When I asked for more details the response was:

"Your additional required cost is 14.3% - this is for employers NI, sick pay, paternity pay and includes the levy for apprenticeship Levy. If you don’t go sick then you are not due anything back – just the same as a normal employee."

I'm still talking to a couple of others, including contractor umbrella, but the additional costs (on top of admin costs) are not very clear from any of them; it is just a lump sum that includes Employers NI and apprenticeship levy but when I calculate that amount, it is always less than the additional costs I am being quoted.

Contractor Umbrella did say they would get more details to me this week so hopefully they will come through.

Comment

Originally posted by questions View Post
            Contractor Umbrella did say they would get more details to me this week so hopefully they will come through.
            These should be with you now, if you don't receive them for any reason then please give me a shout

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
              These should be with you now, if you don't receive them for any reason then please give me a shout
              Thanks Lucy - all received and very clear. Hopefully I'll be on your books soon.

Comment

Working...
              X