• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FPS (freelance professional services (umbrella company)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPS (freelance professional services (umbrella company)

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation, that is actually useful to know since the feeling is mutual.
    We'd love to work with you if you used a UK company though! I appreciate it was a rather short answer last night.

The issue with trading with an IOM company is the offshore intermediaries legislation.

Potentially if your assignment was onsite on the IOM we'd review it.
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
      We'd love to work with you if you used a UK company though! I appreciate it was a rather short answer last night.

The issue with trading with an IOM company is the offshore intermediaries legislation.

Potentially if your assignment was onsite on the IOM we'd review it.
      Not going to happen. I appreciate your input here, but I have a very tough job to just get companies in your group to stop spamming me with totally inappropriate jobs. If I were actually to take a role through an S3 company I can't imagine the hounding that would result in. Academic anyway, I no longer do UK work. So if I buy a Douglas flat and open a IoM company it won't be doing any UK work any time soon anyway.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Not going to happen. I appreciate your input here, but I have a very tough job to just get companies in your group to stop spamming me with totally inappropriate jobs. If I were actually to take a role through an S3 company I can't imagine the hounding that would result in. Academic anyway, I no longer do UK work. So if I buy a Douglas flat and open a IoM company it won't be doing any UK work any time soon anyway.
        The way we market roles to candidates is changing / will further change. We are moving towards true user preferencing. Two reasons for this, GDPR and Customer Feedback.

Comment

By who?
          We are a corporate service provider, regulated by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority. In order to become a regulated entity, we have to do the following:

• All Directors, key members of staff and associated individuals are checked to ensure that they are fit and proper to undertake regulatory activity (qualifications; police checks; experience)
          • Client funds ring fenced, separate to our main trading account
          • Client Account must be reconciled and hold a letter from the Bank confirming it is for the benefit of the client and not the funds of FPS.
          • Compliance Officer and Money Laundering Reporting Officer must be appointed
          • We must demonstrate our compliance through:
          o Adherence to anti-money laundering legislation
          o Organising and controlling internal affairs in a responsible manner
          o Promoting high ethical standards
          o Putting appropriate internal controls, policies and procedures in place
          o Applying independent audit and internal compliance procedures

This is different to all other umbrella providers, as the industry is entirely unregulated. Most umbrella companies will take your money in to their own beneficial ownership, their processes and procedures don’t have to be audited and their directors can be appointed without relevant police checks or verification of their suitability to run a payroll company. This has led to a number of cases where umbrella providers have gone in to administration and contractors have gone unpaid – agency/contractor funds have been utilised to repay debts. The directors of those same umbrella companies have then started new operations under different names with no recourse for their previous agency partners or employees. With ourselves, this is simply not possible.

We don’t make a secret of our location. Feel free to download our corporate brochure – it says it on the first page. It is also all over our website. The reason we do this is because we like to be transparent.

As I said before, every umbrella company we administer is a UK company with UK banking arrangements. Agencies/end clients contract with a UK company; contractors are employed by a UK umbrella company. There is no offshore entity within that supply chain. Our Isle of Man company invoices the UK umbrella company for our administration fee once all payments have been made.

Given that you only believe companies that do their administration in the UK can be compliant, do you believe that HSBC don’t adhere to UK banking regulations because their call centre is based in India? In fact, there are large recruiters that do their admin outside the UK too. Perhaps contractors on their PAYE are also at risk?
          Last edited by Matt FPSGroup; 24 March 2017, 09:41.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            And I hope as a professional you have pointed out the issue along with the evidence to Lucy or someone else there. If not may I suggest you are not as honourable as you are pretending to be....
            Unfortunately, I don’t know who Lucy is and have no evidence to present to her. My information is second/third hand from agencies/contractors and a decent knowledge of my competitors. If Lucy wants to contact me, I am happy to discuss what I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              QC approved?
              There’s no need to get QC opinion for UK umbrella companies. As we don’t offer any kind of offshore tax structuring, loans or other exotic avoidance structures, we save a shedload on legal fees. Phone up for an illustration if you want – the take home is evidence enough that the umbrella companies we administer aren’t doing anything shonky 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Matt FPSGroup View Post
                We are a corporate service provider, regulated by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority.
                I stopped reading after this. Completely irrelevant.

Comment

I stopped reading after this. Completely irrelevant.
                  We were audited by EY last year. They have confirmed that the offshore intermediaries legislation doesn’t apply, as we are administering UK umbrella companies. Given that you weren’t able to read my entire post, perhaps a quick reiteration of the last paragraph might be appropriate:

Given that you only believe companies that do their administration in the UK can be compliant, do you believe that HSBC don’t adhere to UK banking regulations because their call centre is based in India? In fact, there are large recruiters that do their admin outside the UK too. Perhaps contractors on their PAYE are also at risk?

Comment

You said you were regulated. Given that UK umbrellas are unregulated, I was interested why you claim to be regulated. As suspected, you are regulated by an irrelevant body for the purposes of this discussion.

At no point have I said the Offshore Rules apply to your U.K. Umbrella company.

Comment

You said you were regulated. Given that UK umbrellas are unregulated, I was interested why you claim to be regulated. As suspected, you are regulated by an irrelevant body for the purposes of this discussion.

At no point have I said the Offshore Rules apply to your U.K. Umbrella company.
                      Our regulation absolutely is relevant. If you can choose a compliant umbrella company that adheres to all relevant regulations, with administrators who are held to a much greater account than any other umbrella provider, why wouldn’t you opt for that?

The financial positions of a lot of our competitors is horrifying, when you look at the consolidated position rather than just the umbrella company itself. It’s only a matter of time before an umbrella of a significant size goes pop, which will cause huge repercussions in the market. As I keep on saying, that is simply impossible with us, because of our regulation.

Surely you feel that safeguarding your agency/contractor funds throughout the supply chain is important?

Comment

Working...
                      X