• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella and Sole Trader at the same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella and Sole Trader at the same time

I'm fairly new to freelancing and wanted to clarify something. I'm set up as a sole trader and work with several clients directly. I spoke to a recruitment agent who said they can get me contracts but I would have to join an umbrella company (or become a limited company).

My question is can I be a sole trader with my own clients and work under an umbrella company for contracts through the agency at the same time? Or can it only be one or the other?

Thanks!

Yes, you can be paid separately Sole Trader (for your own clients) and Umbrella (through the agency)

Some agencies don't like paying Sole Trader

Comment

Originally posted by DomA View Post
      Yes, you can be paid separately Sole Trader (for your own clients) and Umbrella (through the agency)

Agencies cannot employ people as sole traders due to abuses in the 1970's
      FTFY but you have to use a limited company or umbrella to do work through an agency.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by caz1986 View Post
        I'm fairly new to freelancing and wanted to clarify something. I'm set up as a sole trader and work with several clients directly. I spoke to a recruitment agent who said they can get me contracts but I would have to join an umbrella company (or become a limited company).

My question is can I be a sole trader with my own clients and work under an umbrella company for contracts through the agency at the same time? Or can it only be one or the other?

Thanks!
        Yes. You can do any combination. I am set up as a sole trader for retail and Ltd for contracting. I have also been PAYE this year.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
        X