+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Atlantic Umbrella

Anyone used Atlantic Umbrella? Are they any good? reputable?

They seem to be offering me by far the most (with expenses) compared to the other umbrella companies, as im thinking of using an umbrella in April (temporarily) until the end of this public sector contract.

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a read through the first two stickies in this section. There are plenty of details from Lucy about why umbrella take home shouldn't be that different.

Their website claims that "We operate under an HMRC-issued expenses dispensation". This sounds concerning - Lucy, what does this mean?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well they appear on the All Umbrella's are equal website as a pending member so nothing to worry about there

However their website looks seriously out of date (the footer states 2014) and you can no longer claim business as usual expenses so its not that accurate.

There is also this post from 7 years ago http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1119510 (based on the age treat it with a pinch of salt - things will have changed)
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well they aren't a member of All Contractor Umbrellas are Equal so on that point alone I'd be moving on.

Ask an Umbrella Company - All Umbrella Companies Are Equal

I must admit I can't see anything about 80%+ take home and QC approved etc but there doesn't seem to be much information at all. They seem to have quite a bit of lolly in the bank and have been around for a long time so don't tick any of the danger boxes for Offshore/Schemes stuff.

Their website gives me the heebie jeebies though. It's exactly the same format as some of the IoM offerings that pop up on here. The simple layout with the big telephone number in the top right. This could just be a template but it surprises me how often it appears to pop up.

Looks legit on the face of it but in my personal opinion there are better ones.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well they aren't a member of All Contractor Umbrellas are Equal so on that point alone I'd be moving on.

Ask an Umbrella Company - All Umbrella Companies Are Equal

I must admit I can't see anything about 80%+ take home and QC approved etc but there doesn't seem to be much information at all. They seem to have quite a bit of lolly in the bank and have been around for a long time so don't tick any of the danger boxes for Offshore/Schemes stuff.

Their website gives me the heebie jeebies though. It's exactly the same format as some of the IoM offerings that pop up on here. The simple layout with the big telephone number in the top right. This could just be a template but it surprises me how often it appears to pop up.

Looks legit on the face of it but in my personal opinion there are better ones.
    They are listed on AUAE as Pending membership - but yep the website is well and truly out of date. So legit but better options are available.

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    They are listed on AUAE as Pending membership - but yep the website is well and truly out of date. So legit but better options are available.

-----------------------------------------
    Thanks for the info guys, im not sure what to do, as they are offering a good bit more take home pay than the others, but that post from a few years ago bothers me and the fact that I have just checked companies house web check and they have changed their company name twice also bothers me.....think I might lay on the side of caution for now.

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by likewise View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, im not sure what to do, as they are offering a good bit more take home pay than the others, but that post from a few years ago bothers me and the fact that I have just checked companies house web check and they have changed their company name twice also bothers me.....think I might lay on the side of caution for now.
    Read the first post on http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...ey-differ.html .

Basically the only thing that separates an umbrella company is quality of service and fee charged..

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by likewise View Post
    Hi Likewise, ok lets get one thing very clear, as of April 2016 non-chargeable expenses (ie the ones the end client are not reimbursing for in full) are NOT allowable via any umbrella company if they are operating compliantly. Please take a look at the small print, especially with regards to the expenses. It will probably be an assumption that you are not under Supervision, Direction or Control by the end client and therefore they "assume" you will be able to claim back at the end of the financial year via self-assessment, these cannot be processed at source.
    Just watching what I say

Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.