• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you think I have been overcharged by the umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think I have been overcharged by the umbrella?

Hi,

I received my first payslip from a known umbrella. In my pocket I'll get £3520.75 from £7500 gross, that's 47%, which seems low... I often hear people saying umbrellas pay around 60%.

I admit that I don't understand the breakdown very well.

Do you think I've been overcharged?

Thanks,
    sog

---

Tax code 1100L W1

Daily rate £500
    Invoice for 15 days (15 * 500 = 7500)

Payments
    Basic pay (NMW x hours) 864.00
    Holiday pay advance 566.59
    Bonus 3830.55
    Advance PBA entitlement 876.86
    Total payments: 6138.00

Deductions
    PAYE 2399.39
    NIC 507.36
    Total deductions: 2906.75

Net pay: 3231.25
    Expenses reimbursed: 289.50
    Total pay: 3520.75

Project analysis:

Gross pay: 6138.00

Management contribution:
    Budgeted expenses 307.20
    Admin contribution 85.00
    Employer pension contribution 122.76
    Additional required contribution 847.04
    Total management contribution: 1362.00

Total income: 7500.00

---

Firsr job is to speak to them and go through it line by line. They are your employer so should really be able to answer it to your content.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IMO, you're nuts using a brolly on £500 a day. You're throwing thousands down the pan every month.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

northernladuk: thanks, I was just hoping to get some information over the weekend, I'll talk to them on Monday.

Fred: I know, but I have a specific reason for doing that, I have to declare tax in another country and it makes it much easier for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sog View Post
          northernladuk: thanks, I was just hoping to get some information over the weekend, I'll talk to them on Monday.

Fred: I know, but I have a specific reason for doing that, I have to declare tax in another country and it makes it much easier for me.
          You do realise that the documentation you get monthly and at tax year end is exactly the same if you work for a brolly or for YourCo? It makes no difference. The only difference is the tax and brolly fees you're paying. Plus there is the possibility to claim expenses from YourCo.

Comment

Fred, you may be right, my understanding was that being a share holder of a Ltd company would involve more complex tax declaration abroad. I need to research this better.

Comment

Fred, you may be right, my understanding was that being a share holder of a Ltd company would involve more complex tax declaration abroad.
              It may well do.
              I need to research this better.
              However, you can afford to pay an expert to help you out...

As an aside, ask them to clarify what they mean by "Budgeted expenses". You claim what you've spent, no more, no less. Anything else is evasion.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Fred, you may be right, my understanding was that being a share holder of a Ltd company would involve more complex tax declaration abroad. I need to research this better.
                Like if you own shares in Tesco or M&S? I am by no means an expert on this, but given that the documents you'll have - P60, P11D and a UK self assessment to complete are identical for brolly and YourCo, then why the difference? You're a UK tax payer? There is a double taxation treaty with your home country? Struggling to see the problem to be honest with you.

Comment

On the payslip issue, the problem is solved. It was the emergency tax code. I called HMRC and they changed it to a normal, cumulative tax code. The umbrella reprocessed the payslip and an extra £2500 appeared :-) :-)

Comment

There you go. Easy...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X