• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Time Contracting and Brollying Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Contracting and Brollying Tips

Hi All,

I've currently got myself a six month contract and apprehensively looking around at umbrella companies and wondering whether the limited company route would be an option. Is running one contract through a limited company worth it? I have some standard hours I need to be on site but I have no security beyond six months. I have no idea yet whether this would sit inside or outside of IR35 yet.

It's reasonably likely the contract would get extended, but, it may not and I also may decide to go back to permanent employment. In all honesty if I set up a company I'd like to give this more thought than I currently have time for with my start date and set up later. If I put my contract through an umbrella for six months then got an extension beyond that would there be any difficulties (HMRC, IR35 etc.) in incorporating that and then running my new contract through that?

Yes it is, certainly for a six month contract, as long as your rate is reasonable and you're outside IR35.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Nothing wrong with going brolly for your first gig if you are unsure. Before T&S the general consensus was anything around £30k was better to go brolly anyway. You'll be earning more than that but not a massive amount. If you are going to stay contracting the difference over your career will be peanuts. I wouldn't be overly bothered it's a little inefficient for 3 months until you get to grips or have some peace of mind. I went brolly for my first gig and I have no regrets.

Have a word with Lucy and the gang at Contractor Umbrella. She posts a lot in here and is very helpful so run some numbers with them and sew how you feel.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A limited company is a longer term commitment. If there is the potential for you to go back perm in 6 months, an umbrella company is probably best for you initially. Once you have decided whether the contracting life is for you, a limited company may be a better solution and is definitely worth considering if you are outside IR35. You can pay for a contract review to give you an opinion on your status for that assignment.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 1 July 2016, 11:07. Reason: URLs removed

Comment

Look at the taxes you'll pay under a brolly, PAYE + ERNIC + EENIC, and the brolly margin. Then look at what taxes you'll pay under a Ltd Co + Qualifying expenses claims + Accountants fees. Then factor that for how long the contract will last, the decision will be easy.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Look at the taxes you'll pay under a brolly, PAYE + ERNIC + EENIC, and the brolly margin. Then look at what taxes you'll pay under a Ltd Co + Qualifying expenses claims + Accountants fees. Then factor that for how long the contract will last, the decision will be easy.
            Where as that is true and easy for us to say you are missing the soft factors about the OP's level of ability, the hassle factor, his attitude towards understanding things like IR35 and so on. I don't think it's always as black and white as that personally, but really down the OP to decide.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X