• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC to align T&S legislation with the intentions of Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC to align T&S legislation with the intentions of Parliament

Received today from HMRC...

Travel and subsistence expenses for workers engaged through employment intermediaries

Note on the effect of the legislation
    The government introduced legislation in clause 14 of the Finance Bill 2016 restricting relief on home-to-work Travel and Subsistence (T&S) expenses for workers engaged through an employment intermediary. The changes put those workers on the same terms as all others contracted directly, or through an agency contract. They took effect from 6 April 2016.

An unintended consequence has been identified affecting the application of these changes for most employment intermediaries, but not personal service companies and managed service companies. To resolve this, the legislation will be amended at the earliest opportunity. HMRC does not consider this change will affect the vast majority of workers currently engaged through employment intermediaries.

Current Application
    The government announced at Autumn Statement (AS) 2015 it would restrict tax relief on T&S expenses to workers who supply their services through an employment intermediary and carry out their work under supervision, direction or control. For individuals working through personal service companies, relief would be restricted where the intermediaries legislation (IR35) applies, or where the worker would be considered an employee if engaged directly with the client.
    Due to a technical point in the legislation, the restriction that came into force on 6 April 2016 does not reflect the restriction that was announced at AS 2015. So, rather than consider whether a worker is under supervision, direction or control, employment intermediaries (including umbrella companies) need to consider whether the worker would be an employee if engaged directly by the client.
    The only exception to this rule is workers who are engaged through managed service companies. The restrictions apply to these workers where they are under supervision, direction or control.
    Where a worker’s circumstances are such that they would be properly considered as self-employed if engaged directly, the new legislation will not apply.
    Full guidance on these changes is being published on gov.uk.
    Although the test used in the current legislation is different to what was announced at AS 2015, those who are working under supervision, direction or control would, in the vast majority of cases, be considered an employee if engaged directly with the client. Therefore both tests should produce the same result and this change will have a minimal effect on the individuals concerned.

Correcting the legislation
    The government considers the use of a full test of employment status to determine eligibility for relief on T&S expenses to be disproportionate and burdensome for the businesses who will need to consider this legislation. It believes the simpler test of supervision, direction or control will help ensure compliance with these rules. For these reasons, the legislation will be updated at the earliest opportunity to reflect the announcement made at Autumn Statement 2015.
    This amendment will ensure workers engaged through an employment intermediary will need to consider whether they are under the supervision, direction or control (or right thereof) of any person, in how they do their work. Those engaged through a personal service company will continue to be required to use the test used within the intermediaries legislation.

Minor point, but didn't all the MSC's become accountants a long while ago? Surely, there are no MSC's now?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Minor point, but didn't all the MSC's become accountants a long while ago? Surely, there are no MSC's now?
      Isn't that like saying there are no tax-avoidance schemes - we have seen more emerging believing that they have a "new" concept!! I will be reading, and rereading and rereading then attempting to translate into English

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
        Isn't that like saying there are no tax-avoidance schemes - we have seen more emerging believing that they have a "new" concept!! I will be reading, and rereading and rereading then attempting to translate into English
        Do you know of any MSC's still operating though? Because I can't think of a single one.

Comment

Released today: Taxman secures MSC tribunal victory Taxman secures MSC tribunal victory | Accountancy Age

Comment

Released today: Taxman secures MSC tribunal victory Taxman secures MSC tribunal victory | Accountancy Age
            Now that's interesting. I've seen these scheme providers offering to set up Ltd cos and wondered what the tax avoidance angle was.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Lucy,

Thank you for the update. Summarising your opening post, does it follow that those umbrella users with contracts that could be deemed outside IR35 can now claim T&S once the bill is rectified?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Lucy,

Thank you for the update. Summarising your opening post, does it follow that those umbrella users with contracts that could be deemed outside IR35 can now claim T&S once the bill is rectified?
                I think it's the opposite.

Autumn Statement made it "clear" (or as clear as HMG do) that umbrella employees who are subject to S, D or C cannot claim travel and subsistence; limited company operators could not claim if they were inside IR35.

Legislation doesn't match the AS - it says that IR35 is the test, so umbrella company employees who are outside IR35 are allowed to claim travel and subsistence expenses.

But HMRC have said that they will correct this at the earliest opportunity, and I would expect that the legislation would be retrospective to match the Autumn Statement. The correction will be to the legislation, ie umbrella company test is SDorC not IR35, so that the legislation matches the announced policy.

Given the risk of retrospective legislation, I would be incredibly wary of claiming travel and subsistence in the meantime if I was in the situation of being outside IR35 but failing SDorC, because the intention has always been "clear". And if I was an umbrella operator, I would be even more wary about paying them - the employee could always attempt to reclaim the expenses via their self assessment though.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I think it's the opposite.

Autumn Statement made it "clear" (or as clear as HMG do) that umbrella employees who are subject to S, D or C cannot claim travel and subsistence; limited company operators could not claim if they were inside IR35.

Legislation doesn't match the AS - it says that IR35 is the test, so umbrella company employees who are outside IR35 are allowed to claim travel and subsistence expenses.

But HMRC have said that they will correct this at the earliest opportunity, and I would expect that the legislation would be retrospective to match the Autumn Statement. The correction will be to the legislation, ie umbrella company test is SDorC not IR35, so that the legislation matches the announced policy.

Given the risk of retrospective legislation, I would be incredibly wary of claiming travel and subsistence in the meantime if I was in the situation of being outside IR35 but failing SDorC, because the intention has always been "clear". And if I was an umbrella operator, I would be even more wary about paying them - the employee could always attempt to reclaim the expenses via their self assessment though.
                  It is a bit ambiguous.

Interesting line now I've re-read it:
                  "or where the worker would be considered an employee if engaged directly with the client."

What does that mean - is that to do with the behaviours, rights, etc?
                  If so, then it's easy:
                  No redundancy
                  No sick pay
                  No holiday leave
                  No union representation
                  Treated differently wrt Christmas parties, etc
                  No training
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thanks Lucy, but I did say "still operating", that case goes back to the situation almost ten years ago. Are there any MSC's operating today? If there are, they're very well hidden. Unlike the 90% schemes that are all over everywhere you look. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X