• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! Parasol - Confused about expences and not getting any help from them!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJXX View Post
    Thanks, I've been dealing with one of their 'senior' advisors for the last week or so, unfortunately it's the same situation. No reply to emails for a day or so (they advise 4 hours usually) and then I send an email asking for an update, and then get a reply.

Again not slating them and not sure why the thread has turned into a bit of a which-hunt, I was just looking for a bit of advice whilst explaining my plight
    Sorry you feel its a witch hunt. Sometimes contractors post stuff on here without giving the people they have a beef with a chance to respond.

Have you given them a call? Often its the best way to get quick help.

Comment

First of all, thank you for actually helping instead of throwing around accusations that I'm somehow out to get Parasol!

My commission is 4p on my pay? I've been told they're carrying them forward - but I'm not sure exactly how far forward they're going to go, as I feel like I'm never going to get them back.
      That'll be it then.

Umbrella companies can only "re-imburse" expenses if there are available funds in your invoice value. From your invoice they need to fork out statutory obligations (Living Wage, Holiday Pay, Employer NIC) and then their margin. Anything left will be either paid as commission (taxable) or expenses (non taxable) so those expenses will carry forward indefinitely unless you get a better rate or work loads of hours. You can claim them on a P87 at the end of a year but you only get the tax relief on that rather than Tax and NIC relief if they are processed through the Umbrella.

To be honest you're one of the lucky ones if you're still able to claim expenses this new tax year as most are caught inside SDC.

Comment

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
        That'll be it then.

Umbrella companies can only "re-imburse" expenses if there are available funds in your invoice value. From your invoice they need to fork out statutory obligations (Living Wage, Holiday Pay, Employer NIC) and then their margin. Anything left will be either paid as commission (taxable) or expenses (non taxable) so those expenses will carry forward indefinitely unless you get a better rate or work loads of hours. You can claim them on a P87 at the end of a year but you only get the tax relief on that rather than Tax and NIC relief if they are processed through the Umbrella.

To be honest you're one of the lucky ones if you're still able to claim expenses this new tax year as most are caught inside SDC.
        Thank you for this comprehensive answer! This confirms more or less what Parasol have said in a previous communication, only explained 100 times better and actually makes sense - so thank you!

Comment

I thought all brollys had to stop paying T&S as expenses now?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            I thought all brollys had to stop paying T&S as expenses now?
            Theoretically, no umbrella company can process any non-chargeable expenses via salary sacrifice as of the 6th April, that said there are already "schemes" appearing to attempt to get around this. My advice is if any brolly is saying they can then be careful.

I also came across one today still putting expenses through as estimates on their calculator, then stating in the small print an assumption that there is no SDC and that the calculation is the figure they would receive based on the figures that could be claimed via self-assessment. So in reality not what you would see on your payslip at all!

Comment

the last couple of replies are what I would expect in response to this. Since 6th April this year the chancellor removed the rights for contractors utilising Umbrella Companies to claim travel and subsistence I ended my contract due to this I wasn't prepared to take the hit. In my case my fee would have been an expensive way of running my payroll

Comment

I'm paid weekly by Parasol, but only receive £24 expenses with my pay. This means £76 per week of expenses are building up, unpaid. Between starting my contract and now; I've racked up circa £450 of expenses with Parasol, but as I'm only given £24 per week, I never seem to be getting my expenses back and the amount of expenses I'm 'owed' just seems to be building up and building up and I fear I'm never actually going to get this back.
                AJXX - I would be more concerned at the moment if you are getting expenses reimbursed at all - as of 6th April no compliant umbrella company should be able to reimburse expenses, if you are eligible then they would have to be claimed with self-assessment at the end of the year. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                  AJXX - I would be more concerned at the moment if you are getting expenses reimbursed at all - as of 6th April no compliant umbrella company should be able to reimburse expenses, if you are eligible then they would have to be claimed with self-assessment at the end of the year. Just saying
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  I do remember using Parasol back in 2009 before I went limited, was not impressed with them, it always sticks in my mind that I was advised before signing up with them that I would receive a certain amount and then what they actually paid me was far less, and when I called them to query it, their explanation of how they calculated things was so complex, you needed to have a PHD in finance and accountancy to work out what they meant, it seems things have not changed with them.

Comment

A long long time ago they had some good people who could actually tell you exactly how the calculations were done.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      A long long time ago they had some good people who could actually tell you exactly how the calculations were done.
                      ... or perhaps in this case not being done since subsistence and travel are no longer allowable for employees. Although why they cant explain that in less than 15 minutes is beyond me...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X