• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Standards of working with reputable brollies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standards of working with reputable brollies

I'm new to working with brollies and would like to ask those with some experience to share what they consider starding working practices of reputable brollies.

1. Will brollie pay if client won't?
    2. Will brollie pay on time, if client pays with a delay?
    3. What is the typical payment delay, between when client pays the umbrella company and brollie pays me?
    4. Is there any minumum period I have to work for umbrella company? Are there any other typical restrictions?
    5. Are there any particular terms of leaving & exit fees?
    6. As an umbrella employee, I'm an employee. I expect automatic pension enrollment to be in place as for any other employment, and I'd expect I can opt out as everywhere else. Is this assumption correct?
    7. How brollies approach paid holidays and sick leave? If I earn eg. £525, do they pay me eg. £500 and keep the rest to fund my sick leave / paid hols? What if I don't use my holiday entitlement before leaving a brolly?

I can't answer the questions, beyond saying that the singular of "brollies" is "brolly".
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by AutomationGuy View Post
      I'm new to working with brollies and would like to ask those with some experience to share what they consider starding working practices of reputable brollies.

1. Will brollie pay if client won't?
      2. Will brollie pay on time, if client pays with a delay?
      3. What is the typical payment delay, between when client pays the umbrella company and brollie pays me?
      4. Is there any minumum period I have to work for umbrella company? Are there any other typical restrictions?
      5. Are there any particular terms of leaving & exit fees?
      6. As an umbrella employee, I'm an employee. I expect automatic pension enrollment to be in place as for any other employment, and I'd expect I can opt out as everywhere else. Is this assumption correct?
      7. How brollies approach paid holidays and sick leave? If I earn eg. £525, do they pay me eg. £500 and keep the rest to fund my sick leave / paid hols? What if I don't use my holiday entitlement before leaving a brolly?
      If the client doesn't pay then the first redress is with the agency - if you have opted in to the Conduct Regs then you will be entitled to payment even if the agency is not paid. If, for any reason, the umbrella company doesn't receive payment from the agency then they should pay you minimum wage/living wage according to the terms of their over-arching contract (although this could well change with some companies post April this year)

You would usually receive a salary once a month from the umbrella company (again based on living wage/minimum wage) regardless of whether funds have been received from the agency/client

Typically the umbrella company will pay you on the same day that funds are received from the agency/client

We have a minimum requirement of a 6 week contract - I think this is fairly typical but I don't know for sure

The umbrella company's margin will be deducted from the contract rate received from the agency/client - there should be no 'fees' for joining or exiting

Your assumptions regarding pensions and holiday pay are correct
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
      X