• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella and expenses in tax year 2016/2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella and expenses in tax year 2016/2017

As per Autumn Statement, umbrella employees will no longer be able to claim T&S expenses in next tax year. Is there anything else you guys expect to claim, with the new law in place? I can't think of anything significant I could lawfully claim on a regular basis.

Nope.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unemployment benefit! If I cannot claim for travel then I cannot afford to work.

Comment

Interesting related article on this site today penned by Marc Scott, director of umbrella company Liberty Bishop.
        Why it's all change for umbrella companies (and umbrella contractors) from April :: Contractor UK

For virtually all umbrella workers it looks like ALL expenses are now doomed after April 5th.
        Further, if it can be proved that expenses are due (difficult, pain-in-the-ass for all involved), they can only be claimed 'en-mass' at the END of the tax year via a tax return .. most people who complete a tax return submit one online in the last week of January.

The comfortable model of working via an umbrella being paid weekly; claiming travel, accommodation and other expenses applied weekly is history.

I suspect that most of those who choose to work through an umbrella will simply 'forget about expenses-too much hassle', instead they'll only be looking for contracts 'near' to home.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
          I suspect that most of those who choose to work through an umbrella will simply 'forget about expenses-too much hassle', instead they'll only be looking for contracts 'near' to home.
          I already do this, but then I'm lucky I got a contract in the city I live in. Most of the financial gigs in Scotland are in Edinburgh and the Glasgow-Edinburgh rail commute is the most expensive in Scotland, I believe, so I'd have to get a much better rate to justify that if I couldn't expense it. Needless to say I'll always be open to the possibility of going back to perm - assuming I can earn at least my old salary.

A lottery win would really simplify things...

Comment

Interesting related article on this site today penned by Marc Scott, director of umbrella company Liberty Bishop.
            Why it's all change for umbrella companies (and umbrella contractors) from April :: Contractor UK

For virtually all umbrella workers it looks like ALL expenses are now doomed after April 5th.
            Further, if it can be proved that expenses are due (difficult, pain-in-the-ass for all involved), they can only be claimed 'en-mass' at the END of the tax year via a tax return .. most people who complete a tax return submit one online in the last week of January.

The comfortable model of working via an umbrella being paid weekly; claiming travel, accommodation and other expenses applied weekly is history.

I think you've hit the nail on the head
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I'd say that it depends. I'd still consider London but I'd imagine that those in the South East wouldn't be able to be as mobile. It's then up to me to decide what budget I do London gigs on (there are still cheap enough ways to make it far more profitable than a gig up north for example).

However, it does make the comparison closer.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Long term contractor myself on this GIG I have been using Umbrella, but I cant afford to take the expenses hit come April 6th, its to much for me to lose, I commute 108 miles a day (I choose to do it I know) but its been a good gig and the 4th time I have worked for this bank. But I am done, its only work locally from now April, or go Ltd yet again. Its a pity the next project we will be working on would be good to get on the CV. Ahhh well bench will be nice in the spring and summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
                  Long term contractor myself on this GIG I have been using Umbrella, but I cant afford to take the expenses hit come April 6th, its to much for me to lose, I commute 108 miles a day (I choose to do it I know) but its been a good gig and the 4th time I have worked for this bank. But I am done, its only work locally from now April, or go Ltd yet again. Its a pity the next project we will be working on would be good to get on the CV. Ahhh well bench will be nice in the spring and summer.
                  I do hope that HMRC read this - we've been trying to get this message across for months
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BenDover View Post
                    Unemployment benefit! If I cannot claim for travel then I cannot afford to work.
                    ...Paging PC...

Comment

Working...
                    X