• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-employed to Umbrella switch....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-employed to Umbrella switch....

Will try keep this brief,

Current situation - My mother is currently a self employeed (live-in care worker) and invoices her client on a weekly basis (7 day working week) and her client pays via cheque. I've had chats with her about possibly working via an umbrella company - as she may be able to take home a bit more (maybe, need to crunch the numbers but not sure - any suggestions on how much a umbrella company would take out of the invoiced amount?) - but wondering if there are any umbrella companies people that would accept her as she invoices weekly and get paid via cheque?

Hi

There would be no problem with the umbrella company receiving payment by cheque but can I ask what her hourly pay rate is as she may not be able to work through an umbrella company
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Hi

There would be no problem with the umbrella company receiving payment by cheque but can I ask what her hourly pay rate is as she may not be able to work through an umbrella company

hmm handint thought about that - its not a contractor wage but somewhere along the 100 p/day rate

Comment

Originally posted by anthony View Post
        hmm handint thought about that - its not a contractor wage but somewhere along the 100 p/day rate
        On a standard working week (around 37.5 hours) I can't see that there would be a problem. As the umbrella company's margin and the Employer's NIC's have to be deducted from the contract rate before the worker's salary is calculated, umbrella companies have to be very aware of the minimum wage legislation.
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
        X