• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Huge" umbrella company problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Sounds like a switch from a problem umbrella to a really helpful umbrella might be in order....
    You may be right, but if I get a non-nonsense answer then I'm happy to write it off as a combination of crap customer service and unnecessary panic on my part. I don't get the sense that changing umbrella companies mid-contract is a painless operation, but I could be wrong - ? I am definitely impressed I got an MD of another umbrella company to offer more help on this matter than my own umbrella, that's for sure!

I'm curious as to how the massive initial expense claim is going to be explained away...
    Last edited by seanraaron; 18 January 2016, 14:23.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      They didn't have my current address. I don't understand how that could be...
      A few years ago, just after I'd left the country, I notified them when I changed address in my new country. Some considerable time later, I received a final tax demand with interest and penalties that had been forwarded to me from the old address. When I called up to ask what was going on, I was told that "someone" had change the address back to the old one. The original demand had been sent therefore to the old address, but never forwarded as the redirect had expired. At least they waived the penalty demand... still had to pay the interest though.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        A few years ago, just after I'd left the country, I notified them when I changed address in my new country. Some considerable time later, I received a final tax demand with interest and penalties that had been forwarded to me from the old address. When I called up to ask what was going on, I was told that "someone" had change the address back to the old one. The original demand had been sent therefore to the old address, but never forwarded as the redirect had expired. At least they waived the penalty demand... still had to pay the interest though.
        That's crazy. Almost as nuts as the fact that I have to continue to file US tax returns forever despite barely having worked there long enough to qualify for a state pension and having no intention of ever returning, much less claiming any benefits or whatever paltry pension I'd be entitled to (last notice they sent I think it was a whopping $30/week at age 70).

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I recently had a debt agent chasing me, representing HMRC.

They had the company address as my old residential address, even though they had been written to by my accountant and had the address changed on their systems.
          They had, also, written to the new co address at the accountants for the whole of last year.

I still had to pay the interest, also.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You may be right, but if I get a non-nonsense answer then I'm happy to write it off as a combination of crap customer service and unnecessary panic on my part. I don't get the sense that changing umbrella companies mid-contract is a painless operation, but I could be wrong - ? I am definitely impressed I got an MD of another umbrella company to offer more help on this matter than my own umbrella, that's for sure!

I'm curious as to how the massive initial expense claim is going to be explained away...
            The explanation will probably be that they've applied 'scale rates' which can be allowed without the need for receipts. However, there does need a cost to be incurred in order for the scale rate to be payable so, allowing £5 per day for lunch is all very well if you're buying a sarnie at the local M&S but not if you're taking in a packed lunch. See here EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates for more info and have a close look at the section marked 'qualifying conditions'
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              The explanation will probably be that they've applied 'scale rates' which can be allowed without the need for receipts. However, there does need a cost to be incurred in order for the scale rate to be payable so, allowing £5 per day for lunch is all very well if you're buying a sarnie at the local M&S but not if you're taking in a packed lunch. See here EIM05231 - Employment income: scale rate expenses: subsistence expenses: table of benchmark scale rates for more info and have a close look at the section marked 'qualifying conditions'
              That would be a funny response since they require a scan/photo of any receipts to go with an expense claim before they'll pay it. Or at least that's what they say - again if so what happened here?

Comment

That would be a funny response since they require a scan/photo of any receipts to go with an expense claim before they'll pay it. Or at least that's what they say - again if so what happened here?
                It could just be simple human error - none of us is perfect

If that is the explanation you get then I would just ask for a correction to be made in the next pay period
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

That's crazy. Almost as nuts as the fact that I have to continue to file US tax returns forever despite barely having worked there long enough to qualify for a state pension and having no intention of ever returning, much less claiming any benefits or whatever paltry pension I'd be entitled to (last notice they sent I think it was a whopping $30/week at age 70).
                  Renounce your citizenship and you won't have to.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Renounce your citizenship and you won't have to.
                    Thought about it many times. You're required to file for a decade following the act in case you're doing it for financial reasons. Also I travel back there with my kid on occasion to visit family and being in separate queues doesn't appeal. If the US or UK ever stopped doing the dual national thing I'd hand it in in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      It could just be simple human error - none of us is perfect

If that is the explanation you get then I would just ask for a correction to be made in the next pay period
                      This is my hope!

My hopes are fracturing...the response is that they "process the maximum expenses for each contract" - I'm not sure what that means or how that would help me since I've not made a claim for £100.73...does this make any sense? My query about the minimal tax withholdings was totally ignored.

I think I may have to make a phone call tomorrow to ask them what is involved in terminating my relationship with them...
                      Last edited by seanraaron; 18 January 2016, 18:28.

Comment

Working...
                      X