• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Company Not Refunding Holiday Reserve from Previous Years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Company Not Refunding Holiday Reserve from Previous Years

My Umbrella Company has stated that they will not refund the money they reserved from my weekly payments from January 1 2014 to December 31 2014, because I never used any holidays. Is this Legal.
    The money is all my wages. It seems they are going to keep the money.

Is this correct?

T

No, it's not right. Retaining money from salary to later be paid out as holiday is the only way that umbrella companies can comply with the EC Working Time Directives requirement that holiday pay is paid when one is actually on holiday (rather than 'rolled up' as part of salary) but it is your money and should not kept by the umbrella company
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Some dodgy umbrellas are always prepared to try it on, but will roll over quite quickly if you stand up to them.

Send them a letter stating what Lisahas said and include the fact that if you don't receive payment by xx/xx/xx you'll start charging them late payment penalties.

Have a look at this. Contractor late payment letters - free templates l debt recovery example and sample letter :: Contractor UK
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Some dodgy umbrellas are always prepared to try it on, but will roll over quite quickly if you stand up to them.

Send them a letter stating what Lisahas said and include the fact that if you don't receive payment by xx/xx/xx you'll start charging them late payment penalties.

Have a look at this. Contractor late payment letters - free templates l debt recovery example and sample letter :: Contractor UK
        Can an employee charge interest on a salary payment?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Can an employee charge interest on a salary payment?
          According to this site you could go to an employment tribunal or court, but you need to make the claim within three months of the wages being due.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

According to this site you could go to an employment tribunal or court, but you need to make the claim within three months of the wages being due.
            Actually for £15, that's the best thing to do anyway.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Unless it quite clearly states in the Contract of Employment that any amounts retained for holiday pay will be retained by the umbrella company, in the event that holiday is not taken during a 12 month period then it becomes an unlawful deduction of earnings and the worker would have the right to take the umbrella company to an employment tribunal.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Why not name and shame on here? Might have the desired affect.

Why not move to a better umbrella? LisaContractorUmbrella is highly recommended. Rumour is she will will CUK best umbrella award of 2015 - when the results are published . In 2017......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Why not name and shame on here? Might have the desired affect.

Why not move to a better umbrella? LisaContractorUmbrella is highly recommended. Rumour is she will will CUK best umbrella award of 2015 - when the results are published . In 2017......
                  You mean she's stuffed more brown envelopes than Giant this year?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

You mean she's stuffed more brown envelopes than Giant this year?
                    Didn't think of that

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X