• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holidays not allowed between contract renew/extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holidays not allowed between contract renew/extension

Hi everyone,

I am new here.

I started working as a contractor one years ago and now i am having a second extension.

My questions are (related on my case):
    - Why the contracts are nenewed at a starting date set back than the day you really start to work?
    - Why the agencies don't tell useful information about the current situation about the contract renew/extension with a good notice time leaving you in the hell?
    - Why the Umbrella companies don't pay holidays between assignment if the new contract will start at a time set back than the real working days and it will covers the holidays?

Thanks for the answer.
    Just.

I don't really understand what you're saying here but if there is a disparity between your contract start date and your actual start date - have you asked the agency??
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by justanother78 View Post
      Hi everyone,

I am new here.

I started working as a contractor one years ago and now i am having a second extension.

My questions are (related on my case):
      - Why the contracts are nenewed at a starting date set back than the day you really start to work?
      - Why the agencies don't tell useful information about the current situation about the contract renew/extension with a good notice time leaving you in the hell?
      - Why the Umbrella companies don't pay holidays between assignment if the new contract will start at a time set back than the real working days and it will covers the holidays?

Thanks for the answer.
      Just.

1. What do you mean by "a starting date set back"?

2. Agents are not your friends. They are in business to make money. They will do things when they want to, and when they can make the most money

3. If you are between contracts then you are not in a contract so you cannot have holiday pay from an umbrella company. Remember, you are a contractor, not a permie.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        1. What do you mean by "a starting date set back"?

2. Agents are not your friends. They are in business to make money. They will do things when they want to, and when they can make the most money

3. If you are between contracts then you are not in a contract so you cannot have holiday pay from an umbrella company. Remember, you are a contractor, not a permie.
        Hi
        Thanks for the answer.

at point 1)

I finish at 10th of month X.
        The new contract started at 20th of monthX.
        I am not entitled to claim holidays between 10th to 20th day of month X because I have no assignment.

The agency told me to start at 20th
        I start the new contract at work at 20th of monthX but the start date of my contract will be officially 11th of month X.

result: from 11th to 19th I taken holidays (now I understood it is a worst choice surely!!!!) without to be paid for these days.
        because the Umbrella company didn't know from the agency what is my next assignment and when I will start until my official past contract is ended.

at point 2)
        I know that the agencies are never never friend of mine. but as a contractor I dont have the knife on the right side.
        Usually they told you that the client doesnt want give you a higher rate.
        Before the end of the contract(one month before) I asked the agency to sort out the renew/extension of my contract but again, again again they use the time as their ally.

at point 3)
        I missed this.
        I know that I will loose totally the holidays this end of the year but I assumed I am employee of an Umbrella company and not for the Client. then I supposed to use my holidays between contracts to avoid gaps.
        Wrongly.
        now I will use holidays when I have a contract but in this case I use completely all available paid days.

this year I used only 10 days of my allowed paid holidays (10 out of 28). At that point I will have to work more to compensate the giant loss I got this year

- How is possible to work at 20th day and have a contract starting before this day. if you are not at work and not allowed to have a paid holiday.??
        - only one positive thing I think is good. the agency doesnt get money from my services if it sets the starting day of my contract before my real date.

Comment

No way we can begun to grasp this situation with such poor English but a couple of things for you to consider.

You are employed by your umbrella. If you have any questions you should be asking them first. They are your employer so should explain everything clearly to you. As has been said though there is a big difference between taking holidays whilst in a contract and you not being in a contract. You need to understand the fundamentals of what you so.

Also with the agencies it can be their fault but to be fair it is often the clients that can't get the authorisation is place in time. If this is hell for you you are not going to enjoy contracting in the long run. This is pretty common and so is the gig/renewal falling through at the last minute.

Whatever the bit about set back is supposed to mean then always speak to the agent for clarification..

Do some reading around the forums and the newbie guides to the right. Sounds like you've a lot to learn about contracting.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            I don't really understand what you're saying here but if there is a disparity between your contract start date and your actual start date - have you asked the agency??
            they say everytime "sorry"
            but as a contractor I am not in a good position to argue something.

Comment

Just as an aside you had a one year contract and have a renewal. Do we assume this is a one year renewal in which case you can't claim expenses any more.. If you only end up working with this client before leaving the umbrella you might also have to pay the expenses back.

http://www.allumbrellacompaniesareeq...onth-rule.html

Who is the umbrella? One of the big companies or one offering visa sponsorship?

Comment

Ok, what date is on the contract renewal and what is the termination date of the original contract?
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

You couldn't be more wrong but looking at the way this thread is going it's not worth going in to why.

Comment

this year I used only 10 days of my allowed paid holidays (10 out of 28). At that point I will have to work more to compensate the giant loss I got this year

OK, since today is not 10th of the month or the 20th, then we can only assume the month this issue occurs is not December 2015, but some time in the future. So you still have some weeks in which to take your time off.

Secondly, if we are talking 9 calendar days (11th - 19th) then that is at the most 7 working days, but could be as low as 5 - or even less if there is a public holiday in there.
                    So, there is no "giant loss", you're missing out on some income - probably about 10% of your daily rate per day off. You will not need "to work more to compensate."
                    Put it another way, let's say you are earning £100 per day. If you were on "holiday" for 7 working days, your "giant loss" will be £70 in total. Which is less than 1 day's pay.

Or, if you want to think smart, take your holidays between contracts and forget about the 10% bit because it's better to earn £100 a day in contract than £10. That way you are £90 a day better off. 7 days at £90 a day is £630, which would pay for your holiday when you are between contracts!
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X