• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discretionary profit sharing bonus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discretionary profit sharing bonus

Just started contracting. On my first payslip the tax and employee NI looks really low. Looks like they've only taxed me on min wage and the rest is discretionary profit sharing bonus. Is this normal for umbrella companies?

It depends what you mean by 'umbrella companies'. A standard PAYE umbrella company will give you a return of around 65% as they deduct tax and NI (and pass that money on to the tax man).

It sound like you've signed up to a dodgy tax avoidance scheme that simply has 'umbrella' in it's title.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's not unusual for an umbrella company to pay a combination of living wage (or minimum wage) and bonus, in fact it's the most common contract structure. What's wrong here is that you appear to be only being taxed on the minimum wage part of your earnings - there's no way that the bonus element should not be taxable. Have you signed a contract of employment with the company? Does that give any details of the pay/tax structure?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
      X