• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help to understand just about everything wages /tax/expenses /NI umberela company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    As TheFaqqer says - the employer probably had an HMRC dispensation to allow for this in which case the amount would have been non-taxable; if the umbrella company does not have a corresponding dispensation or the amount being paid by the agency is not to cover actual incurred costs then it will be taxable

this is where my confusion may come in I think I assumed that the main contractor would be claiming for this through his tax allowance

Comment

Originally posted by Hallowitch View Post
      we have only been with this umbrella company 2 weeks and to be honest I couldn't understand his wage slip (didn't understand the last one properly but thought I could see what was what now I know I didn't )

With the last umbrella I only claimed for evening meals and Mileage and provided receipts I didn't claim the £10 a day substance because their is no canteen on site that you cant buy meals from but their is cooking facility's for the men to use so he buys bread milk tea bags pies ect for day time from the supermarket

I didn't claim lodge because I thought you couldn't claim tax back from an allowance that was not subject to tax and no one told me different or ask for receipts for lodge

Many thanks for your help
      In all seriousness - if your umbrella company can't give you an explanation of your payslip that you can fully understand, you need a new umbrella company.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

this is where my confusion may come in I think I assumed that the main contractor would be claiming for this through his tax allowance
        No, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          In all seriousness - if your umbrella company can't give you an explanation of your payslip that you can fully understand, you need a new umbrella company.
          when I received his payslip last week I phoned the agency sent them a copy of the payslip told them it wasn't good enough just to put total hours worked and it did not state his hourly rate and what hours were paid at normal rate time and a half and double time this has now been changed its was just the non-taxable lodge I couldn't understand because it isn't part of his wages I expected to treated as a separate

ive got a better understanding of it now thanks to this site thank you both for replying

Comment

when I received his payslip last week I phoned the agency sent them a copy of the payslip told them it wasn't good enough just to put total hours worked and it did not state his hourly rate and what hours were paid at normal rate time and a half and double time this has now been changed its was just the non-taxable lodge I couldn't understand because it isn't part of his wages I expected to treated as a separate

ive got a better understanding of it now thanks to this site thank you both for replying
            Has the umbrella confirmed that the lodge payment is non-taxable??

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
            X