• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long it takes to get a P45?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post

The net deduction should be the same as the refund (your employee element) the gross (employer) amount should also be the same but may net down to a different amount depending on many factors including your tax & NIC allowances for that period. If the employee refund is exactly the same and the gross employer refund matches the same as what was deducted initially then you've not suffered any loss.

On the subject of your P45 it's possible that you signed up to a Swedish Derogation contract of employment and were "advanced" some money as Pay Between Assignments. In order to ensure there is no liability on either side for that advance the umbrella company will state that you worked off that period of "advance" and *then* issue your P45. Did you have anything advanced on your payslip?
    Pay between assignments should be just that - it should not be advanced if the umbrella company is to be compliant with HMRC guidance
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Umbrella companies, as with any other employer, have to operate pensions auto-enrolment by law Automatic Enrolment | The Pensions Advisory Service. As the name would suggest, there is no choice for the employer but to enrole their staff into a pension scheme - there is then an option for the workers to opt-out but there are rules and regs surrounding this process Opting Out | The Pensions Regulator. You should have had something from the umbrella company or their pensions provider explaining all this.
      Yes indeed, I had to acknowledge this at the time - that is why I said the whole idea was ridiculous. The Government has brought this to law, so employees can gain a little extra fund for retirement by getting employers to contribute into this. However they are losing their original point by forcing umbrellas to operate this pension auto-enrolment. They clearly will not pay you extra as your wages are not coming from them originally. It is a completely different layout, and it is a real shame that the Government has not ruled them out from this rule... What is the use? So I can pay for my own pension (doubled amount) in each month??? Or just opt in because I am forced to then I can quickly opt out and claim my money back??? Let's not forget the extra hassle - which could be avoidable - on each part. Whooppie.... Maybe we should start a petition....

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
        Yes indeed, I had to acknowledge this at the time - that is why I said the whole idea was ridiculous. The Government has brought this to law, so employees can gain a little extra fund for retirement by getting employers to contribute into this. However they are losing their original point by forcing umbrellas to operate this pension auto-enrolment. They clearly will not pay you extra as your wages are not coming from them originally. It is a completely different layout, and it is a real shame that the Government has not ruled them out from this rule... What is the use? So I can pay for my own pension (doubled amount) in each month??? Or just opt in because I am forced to then I can quickly opt out and claim my money back??? Let's not forget the extra hassle - which could be avoidable - on each part. Whooppie.... Maybe we should start a petition....
        I couldn't agree more - the extra workload this has brought for umbrella companies is huge I'll sign your petition quite happily

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Pay between assignments should be just that - it should not be advanced if the umbrella company is to be compliant with HMRC guidance
          Which particular guidance out of interest?

Comment

Which particular guidance out of interest?
            ESM2087 - Agency and temporary workers: overarching contracts of employment - guaranteed minimum hours

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Thanks Lisa - That's the OAC PBA though looking at it.

Is that not different to the Swedish Derogation element of PBA whereby you are entitled to 50% of your average pay for a minimum of 4 weeks etc to avoid having to match comparator rates under AWR?

Comment

Thanks Lisa - That's the OAC PBA though looking at it.

Is that not different to the Swedish Derogation element of PBA whereby you are entitled to 50% of your average pay for a minimum of 4 weeks etc to avoid having to match comparator rates under AWR?
                The Swedish Derogation was introduced as part of the AWR as it has the effect of an OAC i.e. the worker is employed under a contract and there is full continuity of employment with all the rights that go with it. The point of any kind of PBA is to maintain mutuality of obligation across the whole of the employment, even when there is not any work available for the employee - to pay it as part of salary (as you would with rolled up holiday pay which is also unlawful) sort of defeats the object

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

The Swedish Derogation was introduced as part of the AWR as it has the effect of an OAC i.e. the worker is employed under a contract and there is full continuity of employment with all the rights that go with it. The point of any kind of PBA is to maintain mutuality of obligation across the whole of the employment, even when there is not any work available for the employee - to pay it as part of salary (as you would with rolled up holiday pay which is also unlawful) sort of defeats the object
                  Thanks again Lisa

Don't quite a few Umbrellas (including some of the bigger ones) roll up holiday pay?

Comment

Thanks again Lisa

Don't quite a few Umbrellas (including some of the bigger ones) roll up holiday pay?
                    They do yes and shouldn't https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...pay-the-basics

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

That is pretty unequivocal - so how come they still do it?

I thought the spotlight was on compliance at the moment so decent Umbrellas (like yourself naturally) could distance themselves from the rogue operators?

Comment

Working...
                      X