• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella refuses to take into account my claim and refers me to P87 - anyone can help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella refuses to take into account my claim and refers me to P87 - anyone can help

All

I have started a contract 2 weeks 1/2 ago. When I started nothing in terms of paperwork was started between the umbrella company/the agency/the company where I am working.
    The paperwork was only finalised end of last week.
    I then set up to enter my timesheet on the umbrella website however was not allowed to claim my expense during period Nov24th until Dec06th. The umbrella claims that is because I only started being their employee from Dec07th. The contract from the agency states that I started on Nov 24th...
    Before starting to work I called the umbrella and asked them if I could start without the paperwork being finalised and claim everything after. They told me I could do that and claim all after. Now they are refusing to accept my expenses.
    So now I want to know what happens to my expenses (transport, meals) from Nov 24th until Dec07th.
    Is there another way for me to "claim" those expenses? Can I "claim" them through P87 and if I do so is there really a chance for me to get some tax reduction out of these expenses or does that mean that I have just lost my expenses.
    The umbrella is refusing to backdate the expenses or assist.

Did anyone have a similar experience? Can anyone advise?

Thank you in advance.

An umbrella company, as with any other employer, can only reimburse expenses that are incurred by their employees during their employment so they have taken the correct position. A P87 would not be an option in this case as the form is, again, only applicable for employees and during the first 2 weeks of the contract, from what you've said, you were not employed.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ylang View Post
      All

I have started a contract 2 weeks 1/2 ago.
      The paperwork was only finalised end of last week.
      Before starting to work I called the umbrella and asked them if I could start without the paperwork being finalised and claim everything after. They told me I could do that and claim all after. Now they are refusing to accept my expenses.
      Ask the umbrella specifically who should you enter as your employer on the P87.

Have you been paid salary for the initial 2 weeks, by the umbrella?

Arguably you were an employee if paid salary and having had prior discussion about it.

If they come back and stay to put them as employer on the P87 then I would keep a record of that email and just do it.

It would be the umbrella's PAYE error if they mark you as starting on date 'Y' but had in fact paid you since date 'X'.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        Ask the umbrella specifically who should you enter as your employer on the P87.

Have you been paid salary for the initial 2 weeks, by the umbrella?

Arguably you were an employee if paid salary and having had prior discussion about it.

If they come back and stay to put them as employer on the P87 then I would keep a record of that email and just do it.

It would be the umbrella's PAYE error if they mark you as starting on date 'Y' but had in fact paid you since date 'X'.
        I would be very surprised if the umbrella company had paid the employee before the contract of employment had been signed

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          I would be very surprised if the umbrella company had paid the employee before the contract of employment had been signed
          Contract of employment has no bearing on the tax position. If the OP has been paid then they would be an employee for PAYE purposes. Therefore if the umbrella won't play ball then it would be reasonable to claim via P87 (or annual self-assessment return) and put the umbrella as employer. All IMHO of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
            Contract of employment has no bearing on the tax position. If the OP has been paid then they would be an employee for PAYE purposes. Therefore if the umbrella won't play ball then it would be reasonable to claim via P87 (or annual self-assessment return) and put the umbrella as employer. All IMHO of course.
            See what you mean - fair point

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Umbrella refuses to take into account my claim and refers me to P87 - anyone can hel

All,

Thank you for your response.
              So the umbrella says they can take pay (process PAYE etc)... from the period when I was "not" their employee but the expenses is out...
              So period X to Y they are happy to process the timesheets for that period... but are not happy to process the expenses for the same period.

Cheers.
              Last edited by ylang; 14 December 2014, 16:13.

Comment

Similar problems here.
                Umbrella are taking an age to "credit check" the place I am supposed to start work soon. A leader in their field that I and the umbrella have contracted to before, who always pay their contractors on the dot. Looks like I will end up on site before the umbrella have finished messing around, and they will then bounce the initial expenses (despite the fact I am still legally an employee of theirs at the moment on holiday since my last contract finished).
                Given that I am the one taking the majority of the financial risk its a joke, as is their bouncing of expenses a mistaken understanding of tax law. And their inability to get a new (returning) consultancy/agency signed up quickly is a shambles.
                I really should leave them...

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  Similar problems here.
                  Umbrella are taking an age to "credit check" the place I am supposed to start work soon. A leader in their field that I and the umbrella have contracted to before, who always pay their contractors on the dot. Looks like I will end up on site before the umbrella have finished messing around, and they will then bounce the initial expenses (despite the fact I am still legally an employee of theirs at the moment on holiday since my last contract finished).
                  Given that I am the one taking the majority of the financial risk its a joke, as is their bouncing of expenses a mistaken understanding of tax law. And their inability to get a new (returning) consultancy/agency signed up quickly is a shambles.
                  I really should leave them...
                  An umbrella company has to have an assignment schedule or a B2B contract which gives the details of their workers' placements in order to be able to allow T & S expenses and also to ensure that their insurances are not invalidated; a credit check should not hold up this process and with the wonders of DueDil etc should not be time consuming

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                  X