• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Parasol Enormous deductions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parasol Enormous deductions

Hi guys,

When i got my payslip from Parasol i was absolutely shocked! Im new to umbrella company and always used to operate as LTD. This is temporary job, so i thought i use umbrella company. Could you please tell me if these deductions sound right to you:

Total=£486.75
    Parasol Margin(for 3 days) - £27.50
    Employment costs (see your payslip explanation for more detail) £37.14
    Total - £422.11

Summary Period Year to date
    Basic pay (number hours x NMW) £134.10
    Holiday pay on basic pay £16.19
    Commission £242.54
    Holiday pay on commission £29.28
    Total £422.11
    All the above elements are subject to PAYE tax and employee national insurance
    Deductions Period Year to date
    Employee national insurance £32.29
    PAYE income tax £84.40
    Total deductions £116.69
    Net total
    Payment method: To be sent by BACS transfer
    £305.42

So i only received £305.42.

I would really really appreciate if anyone can provide professional advice. Many thanks.

Kind Regards,
    Gitana

So you got back a tad under 63%.

I think that's around the average for umbrella companies, isn't it?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Parasol does more than make huge deductions

I have just had my first experience of Parasol, which is why I've found and joined this forum. As a writer I recognise its worth in dealing with those whose practices are profoundly questionable.

Over the years I have provided marcoms for many recruiters, mostly of teachers and doctors, and I know they mostly pay in the following week on the Friday if they have the timesheets by EoB on the Monday. And they pay by immediate transfer which, these days, has no cost. They do that to retain their workforce. Because otherwise they'd sod off.

I was recommended to use Parasol by a recruitment agency which is using my freelance services, and which is now horrified by the consequences of that recommendation. At the end of 'Week 2' Parasol told me categorically over the phone that I was being paid on that day (Friday) for work in Week 1. Then they sent me an SMS to say it was being sent by BACS so it would arrive in the middle of Week 3. I had to go on the warpath and use the aforementioned agency before I got anything on the Friday at the end of Week 2. In fact I threatened to walk out of the client's workplace.

A week on and it's Easter. My paperwork was in on time. And yet again Parasol have not paid me (obviously this is at the end of Week 3 for Week 2) even though it's the Thursday before several days' bank holiday and so their BACS will take forever.

Now Parasol is promising same-day payments for £35. Of course it is all a total racket. That ignores their ongoing weekly charge anyway (20-odd quid). And they think that they have every right to foot-drag.

I am also vaguely aware of stoppages that sound excessive though of course I've been sent no calculations.

What do I think of Parasol? I think you can guess. As far as I'm concerned they are finished. But, as I go, I shall be giving them a few write-ups like this. That is in the interests of everybody like me who works their socks off and deserves to be paid properly by umbrella companies that are paid handsomely for doing just that.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pauldunwell View Post
        I have just had my first experience of Parasol, which is why I've found and joined this forum. As a writer I recognise its worth in dealing with those whose practices are profoundly questionable.

Over the years I have provided marcoms for many recruiters, mostly of teachers and doctors, and I know they mostly pay in the following week on the Friday if they have the timesheets by EoB on the Monday. And they pay by immediate transfer which, these days, has no cost. They do that to retain their workforce. Because otherwise they'd sod off.

I was recommended to use Parasol by a recruitment agency which is using my freelance services, and which is now horrified by the consequences of that recommendation. At the end of 'Week 2' Parasol told me categorically over the phone that I was being paid on that day (Friday) for work in Week 1. Then they sent me an SMS to say it was being sent by BACS so it would arrive in the middle of Week 3. I had to go on the warpath and use the aforementioned agency before I got anything on the Friday at the end of Week 2. In fact I threatened to walk out of the client's workplace.

A week on and it's Easter. My paperwork was in on time. And yet again Parasol have not paid me (obviously this is at the end of Week 3 for Week 2) even though it's the Thursday before several days' bank holiday and so their BACS will take forever.

Now Parasol is promising same-day payments for £35. Of course it is all a total racket. That ignores their ongoing weekly charge anyway (20-odd quid). And they think that they have every right to foot-drag.

I am also vaguely aware of stoppages that sound excessive though of course I've been sent no calculations.

What do I think of Parasol? I think you can guess. As far as I'm concerned they are finished. But, as I go, I shall be giving them a few write-ups like this. That is in the interests of everybody like me who works their socks off and deserves to be paid properly by umbrella companies that are paid handsomely for doing just that.

Paul
        Try ContractorUmbrella. Lisa (the MD) is a regular here, and their reviews are consistently positive.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          So you got back a tad under 63%.

I think that's around the average for umbrella companies, isn't it?
          Yep, pretty much spot on for an umbrella when no expenses are claimed

Comment

OP - can I ask what tax code you're on? I have run the contract value through our calculator and the income tax is the only figure that differs
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              OP - can I ask what tax code you're on? I have run the contract value through our calculator and the income tax is the only figure that differs
              The op was in November if that makes a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                The op was in November if that makes a difference?
                Good spot
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                X