• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract job and Tier 2 visa via umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by International Adviser View Post
    Nearly right, what is missed out is that a Tier 2 can normally be granted to the person who "utilises the workers labour (end User Client)" and cannot be sponsored by someone who recruits the worker to be hired on to the end user client.

This means that no agency should be able to sponsor a Tier 2 and the same applies to an Umbrella Company.

What is worse in Voodoo's case it looks as if they are now setting up a PSC for him?
    This ^

It goes on though and at the moment the UKVI don't seem to have cottoned on to this exploit yet....

Comment

I'm Mystified

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Thanks, I stand corrected.

However I still fail to understand why the umbrella/PSC would be needed for an employee...
      I don't understand either as Voodoo should be employed by the end user client, with the agency taking a placement fee only.

Comment

Originally posted by International Adviser View Post
        I don't understand either as Voodoo should be employed by the end user client, with the agency taking a placement fee only.
        I don't fully understand either but have found this:
        Can I apply for self-employed on Tier 2 (ICT) : UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) visas • Immigrationboards.com

Now I'm waiting for the answers from them. That's weird that in here nobody knows the way such a scheme works.
        Last edited by voodoo; 29 September 2014, 17:17.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoo View Post
          Can I apply for self-employed on Tier 2 (ICT) : UK Tier 2 (Employer Sponsored) visas • Immigrationboards.com

Now I'm waiting for the answers from them. That's weird that in here nobody knows the way such a scheme works.
          We do know how it works and why. It's what you're trying to do that is fooling us.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

We do know how it works and why. It's what you're trying to do that is fooling us.
            Malvolio - No, I'm here to ask for advice! Can you please explain why it works that way? What issues might be? Is it legal?

Comment

Correct, the agency is going to be my employer and it is a licensed tier 2 sponsor. AFAIK Umbrella is a limited company to be created by them.
              And how much of the rate do they take and do they make you pay the visa costs?

Comment

Malvolio - No, I'm here to ask for advice! Can you please explain why it works that way? What issues might be? Is it legal?
                Good question, but it's a long and complicated answer and I'm not fully up to date on all the details. However, in very broad terms, the idea is that a Tier 2 is used to fill a specific need by a company who can't find the necessary skills locally (i.e. in the EU) and is really meant to allow the movement of experts in various fields across countries served by international companies. Abuse of the system to bring in cheap (and often under-qualified) workers meant that the rules got tightened up, so, at the simplest level, a company can bring in a Tier 2 provided they are employing them directly, even if the worker is actually sourced by an agency of some kind. That worker can then do some freelance work but they have to derive 80% of their income from the visa sponsor and do the additional work as a normal Schedule D self employed person.

If you are bringing in high grade and/or unique skills, you would be on a Tier 1 visa, not a Tier 2, so I have to assume you don't qualify for a Tier 1.

Therefore we (or at least I) don't see why your "agency" is creating an "umbrella". The model you are describing does not match the rules as I understand them. I am therefore forced to think that there is an ulterior motive. Happy to be proved wrong, but...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks, I stand corrected.

However I still fail to understand why the umbrella/PSC would be needed for an employee...
                  I agree there is no need for the Umbrella Company and a PSC actually makes it worse as it will cause problems in their home country if they remain tax resident there.

Comment

Good question, but it's a long and complicated answer and I'm not fully up to date on all the details. However, in very broad terms, the idea is that a Tier 2 is used to fill a specific need by a company who can't find the necessary skills locally (i.e. in the EU) and is really meant to allow the movement of experts in various fields across countries served by international companies. Abuse of the system to bring in cheap (and often under-qualified) workers meant that the rules got tightened up, so, at the simplest level, a company can bring in a Tier 2 provided they are employing them directly, even if the worker is actually sourced by an agency of some kind. That worker can then do some freelance work but they have to derive 80% of their income from the visa sponsor and do the additional work as a normal Schedule D self employed person.

If you are bringing in high grade and/or unique skills, you would be on a Tier 1 visa, not a Tier 2, so I have to assume you don't qualify for a Tier 1.

Therefore we (or at least I) don't see why your "agency" is creating an "umbrella". The model you are describing does not match the rules as I understand them. I am therefore forced to think that there is an ulterior motive. Happy to be proved wrong, but...
                    Tier 1 (Gen) has been closed to applicants for a few years now. That visa (aka HSMP) was the traditional one used to contract on, since it's tied to the person not the company. Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) sort of fills that gap, in a sense it requires money up front and is really for those wishing to start a business and one proviso is you have to employ (British/EU/settled) people, doesn't seem to stop the applicants from contracting on this visa though.

So both visas are having the spirit of their raison d'être being squeezed out of them, of course the ultimate prize is the one at the end, ILR/British Citizenship, whether it's likely to be granted after the 5 years remains to be seen, depends if the UKVI point their radar at it.

Comment

Working...
                    X