• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Contracting

Hi All,

I am relatively new to contracting, in my second week, and I am playing with the idea of umbrella payroll. I was just wondering if anybody on here had a copy of any companies dispensations that I could have a look at? I've searched online and can not find dispensations anywhere.

I've done alot of research and most says to look closely at dispensations before you make a decision, but how can I when they don't provide them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by briansmith1987 View Post
    Hi All,

I am relatively new to contracting, in my second week, and I am playing with the idea of umbrella payroll. I was just wondering if anybody on here had a copy of any companies dispensations that I could have a look at? I've searched online and can not find dispensations anywhere.

I've done alot of research and most says to look closely at dispensations before you make a decision, but how can I when they don't provide them.

I'm not sure where you've been researching but I wouldn't put a dispensation anywhere near the top of the list of things to look at if I was choosing an umbrella.

Basically, a dispensation means the umbrella company has less paperwork to do on certain expense claims by removing the need for these to be reported on the P11D.

Any dispensation an umbrella company has should in no way affect what you're able to claim as expenses.

Some less reputable umbrella companies like to use their dispensation as a marketing tool, along with claims about how much you can increase your take-home by making expenses claims without receipts. If you were ever to be investigated by HMRC (for example because they were querying why you'd submitted excessive expense claims), then it's you that will be expected to supply them with proof of the claims you've made, not the umbrella.

Id be more concerned about how fast they were going to pay me once they've been paid by the agency, what their fee structure is, will I have a dedicated account manager or will I be talking to someone different every time I phone, have they been in business a long time and can I trust them with my money?

Personally I'd recommend ContractorUmbrella. I used them for a year and a half when I started contracting and the service was excellent (other umbrella companies are available).
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by briansmith1987 View Post
      Hi All,

Why not contact a reputable umbrella company:

All Umbrella Companies Are Equal - Straight Talking Umbrella Companies

Comment

Who is your contract with if you haven't engaged a brolly yet? How were you expecting to get paid?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Who is your contract with if you haven't engaged a brolly yet? How were you expecting to get paid?
          This.

If you've already started, then it's a bit late to be wondering how you should be working, and (if appropriate) which umbrella company to use.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks DiscoStu.

Brian, DiscoStu is right, the dispensation is irrelevant to you as a contractor, and shouldn't be used as a tool to promote the company!

Comment

Working...
            X